Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alecsonline
Helper I
Helper I

What our company and our clients need to share reports?

Hi All,

so sorry if this matter hs already been explained in other posts, but after many efforts it is still not clear to us how the "architecure" of PowerBI should be to share reports with our clients.

Definitely clear that a PowerBI pro is required, and this is ok... but what should we ask to our clients?

The main point is this:

- when buying the Pro licence we have been asked to become "tenant" of our Office365 licence....quite complicated since you have to insert a string in DNS of the organization web domain. Ok for us, our webmaster is working about it.

- but what about our clients?

- is it necessary to have an Office365 licence  for each user? Can PowerBI be indipendent from Office365?

Our goal is to make it very easy to our guests to "enjoy" our PowerBI reports so we are thinking about 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1 - our client buy a PowerBI Pro licence under their personal email address (i.e. info@companydomain.com) and we share the reports with them (i.e. info@clientdomain.com)

- do they need an Office365 account to buy the Pro Licence?

- should they follow the procedure to become tenant? The operation on the DNS is quite complicated and can be frustrating for Clients that are definitely very low level about technical aspects

Both points above could be really difficult to explain and make them acceptable for our clients.

Scenario 2 - we create, internally to our organization, one email address for each of our guests (i.e.: clientname@mycompanydomain.com) and buy one Pro licence for each of them. The client would log-in using this email address.

- should we activate an Office365 account for each of these new email addresses?

- anything else (any other cost) necessary?

Thank you for your assistance and any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alecsonline ,

If you want to share your reports to users out of your organization, you need to check below point:

1.Make sure you and the users all have pro liscense, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

2.Make sure you have invited the users as guest users:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

3.Make sure you have switched on the option of sharing with external users in Power BI Service Admin portal:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alecsonline ,

If you want to share your reports to users out of your organization, you need to check below point:

1.Make sure you and the users all have pro liscense, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

2.Make sure you have invited the users as guest users:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

3.Make sure you have switched on the option of sharing with external users in Power BI Service Admin portal:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear Daniel thank you for your answer, but I see that I wrote my question the wrong way.

In fact what I am really trying to understand is what my clients need to buy a PowerBI Pro licence.

I.E. suppose I have a client that has no Office365 accounts active.... suppose he has nothing at all, just an internet connection, a business email address and no other softwares or accounts or lincences.

Can he buy the PowerBI PRO licence or does he need to subscribe an Office 365 account?

Thank you very much indeed.

Alessandro.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors