Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RossChevalier
Helper III
Helper III

What license is required for Teams members to view dashboards shared to Teams?

I think that I understand PowerBI licensing, but maybe not.

Free is for your own stuff, no sharing and a free user cannot read a dashboard or report shared by a Pro user, even if they are not allowed to change things or reshare. 

Pro is to create and share stuff, but only other Pro license holders can view the reports, even if they cannot alter or share them.

Premium is for companies with buckets of cash and otherwise out of reach for most.

When I publish a dashboard to the PowerBI Service I can share the dashboard via email or share via Teams.  For a Teams member of a team to view the dashboard does that person also need a PowerBI Pro license, even if that person will only view the dashboard?

I want to use dashboards more widely across my organization but the cost on a per user basis is untenable and we won't even get into the costing model for Premium.  Are there other options to let people see dashboards without a Pro license or a Premium subscription.  

Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but the organization that manages our tenant is mostly useless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@RossChevalier - See my article here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/bc-p/1294491

You could use Power BI Embed (EM) SKU's starting at $650/month flat rate.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@RossChevalier - See my article here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/bc-p/1294491

You could use Power BI Embed (EM) SKU's starting at $650/month flat rate.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I would just like to add to what Greg said is that when using the EM SKU you have to make sure that your PBIX reports fit into the specified EM SKU because there are sizing limits.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors