Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cte_crest
Helper I
Helper I

What is the maximum limit for number of rows in a particular table through push dataset?

Hello every one,

I am new to powerBI and I am also trying to design a solution in which I want to push the data to the PowerBI service's workspace dataset through the PowerBI apis using service principal. I am trying to use the DatasetMode as Push (Not Streaming). 

I can also find that there are two options for DefaultRetentionPolicy: None and basicFIFO.

As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/automation/api-rest-api-limitations, if my retention policy is None, then I can have maximum 5,000,000 rows in a single table. Q1: What happens if I add more rows? Is there any provision to increase the capacity? Also, if the retention policy is basicFIFO, then the older records will be removed and newer ones will replace them. Q2: So, can I use this retention policy with the push dataset (not streaming)?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Q1: Currently you cannot increase the limit and as far as I know in the past it would stop refreshing data when it hit the limit.

Q2: unfortunately this will not work with changing the push dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Q1: Currently you cannot increase the limit and as far as I know in the past it would stop refreshing data when it hit the limit.

Q2: unfortunately this will not work with changing the push dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ for the clarification. 

I also did a POC on this. The API starts throwing something like "Table Full" Exception, after the row reaches 5 Million.

Also, FIFO approach works for the push dataset as well, in which we'll have around 200,000 rows at a time in a particular table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors