Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the benefit of importing a dataframe through a python script instead of :

Hi all,

We have a lot of Python scripts which run automatically once a day before everyone starts working. The script spits out csv and text files, which are refreshed in Power BI. So when someone starts working they have up to date data in Power BI.

I recently discovered that I can automatically run the python scripts in Power BI and then import the pandas dataframe. However, I was simply wondering what is the added benefit of this?

We need to create historical data so we need to spit out CSV's anyway and importing a csv file doens't take a lot of time. So why would you bother importing the dataframe directly by connecting the Python script to Power BI?

I was just wondering

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Keeps everything in the Power BI file for ease of maintenance. Automatic refresh would run the Python script to get the latest data instead of having a 2 step process.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Keeps everything in the Power BI file for ease of maintenance. Automatic refresh would run the Python script to get the latest data instead of having a 2 step process.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors