Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dnaman
Helper I
Helper I

What is a Power BI Premium 'node'?

Hope this is a quick answer, but what the heck is a 'node' when it comes to Premium BI? I use the calculator and depending on the number of users it suggests a number of P1 'nodes' - what do these refer to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dnaman v-cores / capacity -> basically the thing they are calling it. If you look at the whitepaper here (in the yellow section as you scroll down the page) It outlines how they are segmenting capacity.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@dnaman v-cores / capacity -> basically the thing they are calling it. If you look at the whitepaper here (in the yellow section as you scroll down the page) It outlines how they are segmenting capacity.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I can't access the Whitepaper as the URL doesn't work.

If I understood it right, 1 Node = 1 Virtual CPU Core. Rgiht? So, if I use a basic server config with 8 Cores, that would be a total of $40K ($5K * 😎 per month. Half a Million per year for the on-prem server?! Smiley Surprised

@ps1234 Here is the image from the whitepaper.

cores.PNG

This should help you re-adjust your calculations. 8 Cores for ~60k a year as a base price

@Seth_C_Bauer Ah, Thanks for that! Looks much better Smiley Happy

I hope they fix the issue with the Whitepaper download URL! 

@ps1234 Try here - was just pointed to the new whitepaper page by another individual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors