Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prokurors
Advocate III
Advocate III

What happens with shared dashboards on 1st of June?

I have made a dashboard for a customer, shared it with their Power BI free users.

What will happen to that shared report on 1st of June? WIll they be able to access report or will it be inaccessible to them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@prokurors Depends on whether or not they are Pro Trial Users, or Free Users. If they are free, and meet the requirements they will automatically get a 1 year free Pro Trial. If they don't, they can sign up for a Free Pro Trial while they determine next steps to purchase Pro or not.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jaalders
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's now after June, I have shared a dashboard with my Pro account (trial for 365 days).

I added email addresses for the new users and they received a link to sign up.

1; activation/invitaion code throws errors for the users, resend the code and then go to the old mail again works as work around

2; these users get a 60 day trial, however they don't need that: they just need VIEW rigths for the dashboard/report

This is seriously adding more complexity and questions which I understand was not the goal of Microsoft??

Do you maybe know?

@jaalders

1; activation/invitaion code throws errors for the users, resend the code and then go to the old mail again works as work around

If the users never signed in before and you shared, then it usually is broken and they need to sign in and get the code again. This has always been working this way (I don't know if this is "Expected" by MSFT).

2; these users get a 60 day trial, however they don't need that: they just need VIEW rigths for the dashboard/report

End users also need to have a Pro license. You can't share with a free license any longer. So the only ways to share information are the following:

All users have Pro licenses

You have Pro + Premium -> All consumers don't need a Pro account (Also applies to using PBI Report Server)

You have Pro + Premium Embedded -> You embed your reports into an application and the end users can view on the application without the need for a license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Eno!

I see lots of people complain about this.

Why do we create reports?? Well... to share 🙂

And MS is not customer focussed with this functionality and only thinks about the big $$$

Having sr management to login and to have a Pro vs nothing is too big of a difference.

However; I understand that we also can take 1 Pro+ Premium Embedded to create apps in the PowerApp 'store'.

Is my understanding correct?
Any idea what costs are related to this?

@jaalders 1 Pro + Premium Embedded allows you to embed in a web application. Not a PowerApp (Currently), however, it was shown on a slide at Data Insights that PBI embedding capabilities were coming to PowerApps in the 2nd half of the year, so it is a possible solution I suppose. I just don't know what that looks like.

Thanks, still very confused about this action from MS.

Therefor created an idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19666702-free-license-for-sharing

Hope you can help voting 🙂 

@prokurors Depends on whether or not they are Pro Trial Users, or Free Users. If they are free, and meet the requirements they will automatically get a 1 year free Pro Trial. If they don't, they can sign up for a Free Pro Trial while they determine next steps to purchase Pro or not.

@Seth_C_Bauer, hi, thanks for the fast answer!

If I get it right, they will have 60 days to use trial and to decide...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro/#power-bi-pr...

P.S. I strongly believe that moving access to shared dashboards out of free subscription is a very bad choice... there should be at least cheaper licence (if free is not ok)

@prokurors For sure they should have access to the 60 day. Otherwise if they fall into the scenario outlined in the FAQ then they would get a Pro Trial for 1 year they could sign up for on June 1st.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors