cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

What happened to Drill Down on reports after the latest update?

A couple days ago I could build a hierarchy on the Axis fields and drill down on different charts. However with the new Report and Data set update. I can't seem to add either Hierarchies, different fields on the same graph or drill down at all. 

The reports that come from PowerView (with drilldown enabled) show an error that states too much data is being displayed.

Did this break on the latest update? or was the feature scrapped?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

We had to make a few difficult trade-offs to get the visualization framework to a place where it was truly mobile friendly, open for 3rd party custom visualizations and API extensions moving forward. The visualization framework is now completed and should not change again. One of the trade-offs was temporary loss of drill down that you see right now. Our team is working rapidly to get drill down back and implemented in an enhanced manner as soon as possible. In our user studies, we learned few people actually knew that drill down even existed. We want to improve the discoverability, user experience, and capability.

We do have monthly releases. Please make sure that you keep Power BI Desktop updated. There are a lot of fantastic features coming soon.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm having the same issue; i can't for the life of me figure out the drill down in the new (awesome and more usable) setup.

Teal

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Also having the same problem although I don't get any error messages.  I had a report built in the old interface that used the heiarchy/ drill down feature, and that visualization just doesn't behave the same way in the new interface.  I can't drill down in into the bar chart. 

I'm hoping this gets fixed in the general availability release as this is an important feature for us. 

Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I agree, not being able to drill down on charts seems to be the biggest complains from the end users right now...

Highlighted

Having a similar issue with Hierarchies set up in the Data model. those fields are not being displayed as selectable fields in the model.

Highlighted

Hi everyone. I've replied on another thread about hierarchies and this is closely related. We're still working on the experience for hierarchies and drill - we had feedback that the drill capabilities weren't intuitive or discoverable so we're working on a new design. Hopefully you won't have to wait long! In the meantime, if your hierarchies aren't showing up you can unhide the fields that you've used in the hierarchy and use them on your visuals. You still can't add multiple fields to the axis (for example) but that will come soon! On the subject of drill - if you've got feedback about what you'd like to see in that area, please let us know! Thanks for your patience!
Highlighted

Wow, can't believe this was ripped out. Should leave it as is, provide whatever design enhancement later, rather than rip out totally.

Highlighted

This pretty much makes it 100% impossible to use the product for any demonstration purposes.  Please fix ASAP

Highlighted

Errr....yea, seriously. One of the first and most common graphs i/we draw is Year -> Month -> Day (3 fields on the axis) . This is absolute non-negotiable and basic functionality....really, you ripped this out ? What on earth?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry, but Drill Down is one of the most basic functionality and I can't belive that PBI leaks this functionality. Please give us a rough estimate until when this feature will be back. This is a big show stopper.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors