Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daguto81
Advocate I
Advocate I

What happened to Drill Down on reports after the latest update?

A couple days ago I could build a hierarchy on the Axis fields and drill down on different charts. However with the new Report and Data set update. I can't seem to add either Hierarchies, different fields on the same graph or drill down at all. 

The reports that come from PowerView (with drilldown enabled) show an error that states too much data is being displayed.

Did this break on the latest update? or was the feature scrapped?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We had to make a few difficult trade-offs to get the visualization framework to a place where it was truly mobile friendly, open for 3rd party custom visualizations and API extensions moving forward. The visualization framework is now completed and should not change again. One of the trade-offs was temporary loss of drill down that you see right now. Our team is working rapidly to get drill down back and implemented in an enhanced manner as soon as possible. In our user studies, we learned few people actually knew that drill down even existed. We want to improve the discoverability, user experience, and capability.

We do have monthly releases. Please make sure that you keep Power BI Desktop updated. There are a lot of fantastic features coming soon.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Just saw this topic and was curious if this issue has been resolved yet?

not solved yet, probably won't be solved until we get the new/updated version of the Desktop.

We had to make a few difficult trade-offs to get the visualization framework to a place where it was truly mobile friendly, open for 3rd party custom visualizations and API extensions moving forward. The visualization framework is now completed and should not change again. One of the trade-offs was temporary loss of drill down that you see right now. Our team is working rapidly to get drill down back and implemented in an enhanced manner as soon as possible. In our user studies, we learned few people actually knew that drill down even existed. We want to improve the discoverability, user experience, and capability.

We do have monthly releases. Please make sure that you keep Power BI Desktop updated. There are a lot of fantastic features coming soon.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure who was in the user group research, but I personally think that drill down/up is an essential need. Please bring it back.

I can't believe you guys removed the drill down arrows from the reports. The end user experience is now totally ruined! How are you supposed to drill back up? Right click a hundred times? What about using touch screen monitors to display reports? Terrible move!!

Please, please, please, if you decide to do something like this again in the future, and by "this" I mean ruin the end user experience, please send out an Email to your corporate users who build reports and let us know so we don't look like fools to our managers.

Yes, I'm being dramatic but this is quite the turn of events... LOL

What is the scheduled date we should be able to use Drill Downs again?

Jen,

We keep hearing about future releases, however I cannot find any documentation on a release schedule or release notes.  Any advice on where to find such documentation?

Thanks

Any approx date as to when we may see this again?

Thanks for feedback and confrmation this is temporary Jen.  Every customer we meet asks about this functionality as they've seen it in competitive products.

Glad to hear it will return!

itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

Had update from support. New users won't get the 'old experience' and therefore they won't be able to use the drill feature.

The power BI team are working on the new drill down feature which will address many of the comments / improvements submitted regarding the way in which the old drill down worked. They are looking to release this feature 'asap'... With no expected due dates.

I'm implementing two new customers... They wouldn't have gone ahead if it didn't have drill down 😞 also have a demo to large UK government body on the 13th! Ouch..
daguto81
Advocate I
Advocate I

So I logged into my Power BI today and noticed something new. The option to go to the old canvas or the new canvas is back on the top right corner on reports. Going back to the old canvas brings back Drill Down and Hierarchies. However i havent tried reating a new report from the data set and see if you can add extra fields to make the drill down. 

But at least something is something and I can show the Drill down functionality on some reports while using the new canvas to show the "prettyness" on other reports.

Thanks guys 

itelligent-i
Helper I
Helper I

This is fundemental to all customers.  every comparative solution has this functionality and we need to be able to show customers this capability.  weve managed to get 2 customers on board for GA and they are expecting this finctionality as we've already shown it to them!!!  please at least provide an eta so we can manage their expectations....  and help a partner out too..;-)

Michael
Regular Visitor

Sorry, but Drill Down is one of the most basic functionality and I can't belive that PBI leaks this functionality. Please give us a rough estimate until when this feature will be back. This is a big show stopper.

silvertemplar

Errr....yea, seriously. One of the first and most common graphs i/we draw is Year -> Month -> Day (3 fields on the axis) . This is absolute non-negotiable and basic functionality....really, you ripped this out ? What on earth?

JasonD

Having a similar issue with Hierarchies set up in the Data model. those fields are not being displayed as selectable fields in the model.

Hi everyone. I've replied on another thread about hierarchies and this is closely related. We're still working on the experience for hierarchies and drill - we had feedback that the drill capabilities weren't intuitive or discoverable so we're working on a new design. Hopefully you won't have to wait long! In the meantime, if your hierarchies aren't showing up you can unhide the fields that you've used in the hierarchy and use them on your visuals. You still can't add multiple fields to the axis (for example) but that will come soon! On the subject of drill - if you've got feedback about what you'd like to see in that area, please let us know! Thanks for your patience!

This pretty much makes it 100% impossible to use the product for any demonstration purposes.  Please fix ASAP

Wow, can't believe this was ripped out. Should leave it as is, provide whatever design enhancement later, rather than rip out totally.

rjhale
Helper IV
Helper IV

Also having the same problem although I don't get any error messages.  I had a report built in the old interface that used the heiarchy/ drill down feature, and that visualization just doesn't behave the same way in the new interface.  I can't drill down in into the bar chart. 

I'm hoping this gets fixed in the general availability release as this is an important feature for us. 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I agree, not being able to drill down on charts seems to be the biggest complains from the end users right now...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors