Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hector3315
Frequent Visitor

What exactly does the gateway

I mean for what is needed and what are the advantages of having it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

A data gateway is the bridge from Power BI's cloud service to an on-premise data source (for instance if you have a SQL server kept in-house on your company network). Power BI runs as a cloud service, and generally you will want to refresh the data in those online reports on a regular basis. In order to do this, the online service must reach your local data source and retrieve that data. The gateway manages a secure connection between that local data source and Power BI's cloud service, allowing that retrieval.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

A data gateway is the bridge from Power BI's cloud service to an on-premise data source (for instance if you have a SQL server kept in-house on your company network). Power BI runs as a cloud service, and generally you will want to refresh the data in those online reports on a regular basis. In order to do this, the online service must reach your local data source and retrieve that data. The gateway manages a secure connection between that local data source and Power BI's cloud service, allowing that retrieval.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors