Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbeste
Frequent Visitor

What email does the Subscribe feature use?

I'm evaluating Power BI and Power BI Premium for my company of 3,000 people. Today, we don't use Azure, Office 365, Exchange Online, or Sharepoint.

I created my first dashboard and successfully completed the subscription steps. But what email address is it going to use?

1. My username? -- sbeste@XXX.onmicrosoft .com ? Unless someone before me linked that to my real email address, that's not going to work.
  2. An Exchange Online email address? I went into the O365 Admin center and clicked on Mail Settings. It was all grayed out because we don't have Exchange Online. So will we need to get Exchange Online, too?

So where is the subscription email going? And do we need Exchange Online?

Thanks,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Xiaoxin,

Thank you for taking the trouble to do the screen shot. I have not been clear. What I really want to do is to change the domain part of the default address. From xxxxx@XXX.onmicrosoft.com to xxxxx@nara.gov. I thought that would be simple. It's not. I have to add a custom domain name to Office 365. When I tried to do that, it asked me to prove I owned the domain name. It sounded like it was going to move hosting for the domain into Office 365 or something. All I wanted to do was type in a user's email address, and I get THIS? Geez!

I think I'm done. Since I'm only evaluating Power BI at this point, this is not a problem I have to solve. Let's close the thread. Thank you both.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not exactly sure this answers the question or not but the emails come from:

no-reply-powerbi@azureemail.microsoft.com

My emails go to my primary email address, gdeckler@fusionalliance.com. Your situation may be different if you do not have a custom domain configured.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

So they go to your "primary email address". OK, but where is that set up? Not in Power BI or in O365 it appears. Unless you have Exchange Online? It's still murky to me.

Thanks

In O365, you manage a user's email addresses in portal.office.com. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, I thought that would be the place. But when I go there, I don't see any place to set a user's email address.  The "Mail Settings" section is grayed out for me since we don't have Exchange Online. But even looking at the grayed-out settings, I see no email address though I'm a Global administrator. Something else has its hand on the wheel here.

scrap.jpg

HI @sbeste,

AFAK, subscribe feature will send notice email to your account email which set at office tenant.

1.png

Reference link:

Subscribe to a Power BI report or dashboard

Change a user name and email address in Office 365

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Xiaoxin,

Thank you for taking the trouble to do the screen shot. I have not been clear. What I really want to do is to change the domain part of the default address. From xxxxx@XXX.onmicrosoft.com to xxxxx@nara.gov. I thought that would be simple. It's not. I have to add a custom domain name to Office 365. When I tried to do that, it asked me to prove I owned the domain name. It sounded like it was going to move hosting for the domain into Office 365 or something. All I wanted to do was type in a user's email address, and I get THIS? Geez!

I think I'm done. Since I'm only evaluating Power BI at this point, this is not a problem I have to solve. Let's close the thread. Thank you both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors