Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sckienle
Advocate II
Advocate II

Weird ODBC Gateway Failure

I am having an odd error when publishing a report using and ODBC source and the Power BI service connecting it to the gateway.

The gateway ODBC source is set up properly.  If I have a Power BI report which uses that source alone, I can connect it to the gateway when published to the service.

If I reference another data source, but keep them separate in the M code, the gateway can be connected as well.  What I mean by "separate" is that the two sources are not used in the same table in the Power BI M code.

But, as soon as I use both datasources in the same M code for a table, whether by a join, a List.Contains, or other activity, when I publish I can no longer connect to the gateway.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and is there a way to correct it?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sckienle ,

Did you use on prem or personal gateway ? Could you please share more details about your issue? like screenshot of the error message or something else.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft Any update on this?  I am starting to perform more and more DAX back flips to get the work done that should have been accomplished in the data layer rather than the analytical layer.

Thanks,

Steve

This is using the on premises gateway.  I do not get an error message, just don't see the gateway:

No Gateway.png

This is the code that will show the gateway:

Let
  Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=FIS", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
  WMED_PROD_Database = Source{[Name="WMED_PROD",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
  int_Schema = WMED_PROD_Database{[Name="int",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
  employee_vw_View = int_Schema{[Name="employee_vw",Kind="View"]}[Data]
in
  employee_vw_View

But if I add a reference to a buffered list from a different datasource, with the following code, the gateway is not available, as shown above:

let
  Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=FIS", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
  WMED_PROD_Database = Source{[Name="WMED_PROD",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
  int_Schema = WMED_PROD_Database{[Name="int",Kind="Schema"]}[Data]
  employee_vw_View = int_Schema{[Name="employee_vw",Kind="View"]}[Data],
  #"Buffer Known IDs" = List.Buffer(#"Known UserIDs"),
  #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(employee_vw_View, each List.Contains(#"Buffer Known IDs", [id_1]))
in
  #"Filtered Rows"

Some context:

• I have the #"Known UserIDs" query in the working report, I just don't reference it in the query with the pull form the ODBC datasource
  • THE ODBC connection is pretty basic but does reference a PostgreSQL database hosted on AWS: ....us-west-1.rds.amazonaws.com
  • The #"Known UserIDs" query directly connects to an internally hosted PostgreSQL database

I hope this helps.  Let me know if and how to get you more information if needed.  As I said, there is no error reported, just not being able to use the gateway.

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors