Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmfisher82

Web Based Data Extract - Resets to Anonymous Authentication

Hi All,

I'm using PowerBI Desktop to extract CSV data from a website that requires basic authentication.  Everything is working great in the PBI Desktop client.  I'm able to refresh the data without any issues.

However, once I publish the data to the PBI service, the authentication information changes itself from "Basic" to "Anonymous" for the data source.  Even after updating the credentials back to "Basic" and entering the correct login and password, the dataset changes itself back to "Anonymous" within a minute or so.  Obviously, this is problematic because I'm now unable to schedule a data refresh.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Does anyone know how to resolve and keep the correct basic authentication information?  Any assistance from the community would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
yuusaneemu

Same issue here.  I suspect the order of occurrence is the API call fails and returns a 40x response, then PowerBI treats the stored credentials as bad and resets the authentication method to anonymous.

It would be nice if PowerBI did try to be "smart" and reset the stored authentication method/credentials, then users can just try to refresh the data again later.

aogata
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.

Was this authentication issue ever resolved?

mack0352
Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same issue right now. Apparently this is still an issue? Did you ever figure out a workaround? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the exact same problem.

I can authenticate in PBI and in Excel via Power Query. 

Hopefully there is a resolution to come

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors