Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster

Hi,

I noticed there is a quite few related posts but none with this specific error message. I'm trying to add a data source to my on-premises gateway but getting an error message:

"Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster."

Activity ID:0cea33c6-749d-4b4d-9e6a-a3d8e6f16fcc
Request ID:7982f5e7-bbe7-1ba2-62fb-2bd024a01ca4
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time:Mon Jan 21 2019 11:03:43 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version:13.0.8074.169
LSI:Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:MySQL: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind:MySql
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath:usevsimsdb101d.cgukppq7uxqu.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com;prod
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.ErrorCode:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message:Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error

I used same login credentials, database name and server for setting up personal mode gateway with basic authentication method successfuly - It runs just fine. 

Any idea? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

The 400 ERROR means a bad http request. Please updata on-premise gateway to the lastest version. If you already have updated the gateway to the latest version, then you can refer to steps below for troubleshooting.

1. Check if the server is using a proxy and the proxy. Some proxies restrict traffic to only ports 80 and 443. By default, communication to Azure Service Bus will occur on ports other than 443.

2. You can force the gateway to communicate with Azure Service Bus using HTTPS instead of direct TCP. You will need to modify the Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config file. Change the value from AutoDetect to Https. This file is located, by default, at C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

3. Restart the gateway and check if the issue persists. 

• To stop the service, run this command:

''' net stop PBIEgwService '''

• To start the service, run this command:

''' net start PBIEgwService '''

4. You may export the data gateway log by selecting Diagnostics and then selecting the Export logs link near the bottom of the page. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting.

If the issue is very urgent, I would suggest you to create a support ticket to achieve deeper help.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

The 400 ERROR means a bad http request. Please updata on-premise gateway to the lastest version. If you already have updated the gateway to the latest version, then you can refer to steps below for troubleshooting.

1. Check if the server is using a proxy and the proxy. Some proxies restrict traffic to only ports 80 and 443. By default, communication to Azure Service Bus will occur on ports other than 443.

2. You can force the gateway to communicate with Azure Service Bus using HTTPS instead of direct TCP. You will need to modify the Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config file. Change the value from AutoDetect to Https. This file is located, by default, at C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

3. Restart the gateway and check if the issue persists. 

• To stop the service, run this command:

''' net stop PBIEgwService '''

• To start the service, run this command:

''' net start PBIEgwService '''

4. You may export the data gateway log by selecting Diagnostics and then selecting the Export logs link near the bottom of the page. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting.

If the issue is very urgent, I would suggest you to create a support ticket to achieve deeper help.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I have a similar issue. I can connect to a sql server read only database from PBI Desktop. But while adding the connection to my Gateway, I get the following error - 

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details

Activity ID:980e081d-f329-4523-b731-030440b7eedbRequest ID:5f58e414-fdc7-a849-fcd7-82d3821345bbCluster URI:https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
Status code:400Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCodeTime:Wed Feb 23 2022 16:16:44 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)Service version:13.0.17717.53Client version:2202.2.09992-train
Plant_Overtime:SQL Server connection failedUnderlying error code:-2146232060Underlying error message:A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2146232060DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingNativeErrorCode:-1

I tried the 2nd step as well - changing the config file value from AutoDetect to Https. Mine is already on Https. Not sure what else I can do 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-yuta-msft and @Seth_C_Bauer. It seems like the issue was solved. I was running the refresh out of the virtual machine and so its IP adress needed to be added for the security. Right after that, I was able to add mysql data source. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Luk

I am having same issue.  How do you add the IP address?  I am very new to PBI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were to log onto the server that hosts the On Premise Data Gateway, does it have the ability to access this data source?  For example if you loaded in Power BI Desktop to that server, could you open/refresh your PowerBI project from that server?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, out of power bi desktop I am able to refresh data set. In fact, I have my personal mode gateway set up on the same server and database and it runs scheduled refreshes. 

@Anonymous In addition, what do the log files say on the server for the gateway, do they provide any additional information? 

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises Data Gateway\Gateway*.log

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors