Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this

Hi. I'm trying to create a gateway for an excel file but I get this error. I tried using file or sharepoint as data source but still no luck. 

shgd2601_0-1632462395483.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like you are pointing to a file on your PC. The Enterprise Gateway has no idea how to access that location.  Use a personal gateway or place the file into an accessible location like a file share or OneDrive (in which case you don't need a gateway).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please show a sanitized version of your Power Query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

shgd2601_0-1632705727824.png

I cant seem to create a gateway using an excel file. Any idea how to resolve this? 

The privacy level settings are the same for the power bi desktop and from the advanced settings at gateway. 

Please show your Power Query. Most likely your connection strings do not match.

Anonymous
Not applicable

here..

shgd2601_0-1632707938788.png

i'm using a test file to simulate how to connect an excel file using the on premise gateway

Looks like you are pointing to a file on your PC. The Enterprise Gateway has no idea how to access that location.  Use a personal gateway or place the file into an accessible location like a file share or OneDrive (in which case you don't need a gateway).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Thanks so much for answering! I just have a few questions..

1. As an alternative should I place the file in the machine where the gateway is?

2. Can I have 2 gateways (personal and not personal) on different machines?

3. And lastly if I have to use a OneDrive (so I wont need the gateway) how do I enable an automated daily refresh refresh of the dashboard?

thanks! 

1.not recommended

2.yes - you can even have them on the same machine 

3. OneDrive sources are refreshed hourly. If you want scheduling control you can add the data source to the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors