Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ronnie7
Helper II
Helper II

We cannot convert the value "[Table]" to type Table.

Hi, I'm unable to refresh the dataset in PoweBI web app. i get the following error:
My data Source is Odata feed (Project Online)
In PowerBI Desktop i have no issues at all and the data is being refreshed. It's only in the web app, it just happened today even though i didn't change anything in the last couple of days. I have seen some posts of people who ran (still running into this issue). This "Combine data" thing is irrelevant as i don't have a gatway... Can anyone please help with that? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ronnie7,

As the issue only occurs on Power BI service, but not on Power BI Desktop, have you tried removing the entire dataset from Power BI service first, then republishing it from Power BI Desktop to see if it works?Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
NeziPortela
Regular Visitor

These days I got the same error.

Apparently what caused this error was that the privacy level configured on Power BI Desktop was diferent of the privacy level of Power BI Service, when I fix that the error disappeared. 

LocNguyen
Advocate I
Advocate I

Are there any other options besides removing the references?

I'm having a similar problem which is causing me a massive headache but the queries are all to SharePoint (online) and all have the same privacy level Smiley Mad

Ronnie7
Helper II
Helper II

I have been posting this issue everywhere and didn't get any response at all!

Is there any professional support for powerbi?

Here my issue:

Hi, I'm unable to refresh the dataset in PoweBI web app. i get the following error:
My data Source is Odata feed (Project Online)
In PowerBI Desktop i have no issues at all and the data is being refreshed. It's only in the web app, it just happened today even though i didn't change anything in the last couple of days. I have seen some posts of people who ran (still running into this issue). This "Combine data" thing is irrelevant as i don't have a gatway

Can anyone please help with that? Thanks!

Ronnie7
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I'm unable to refresh the dataset in PoweBI web app. i get the following error:

In PowerBI Desktop i have no issues at all and the data is being refreshed. It's only in the web app, it just happened today even though i didn't change anything in the last couple of days.

I have seen some posts of people who ran (still running into this issue). This "Combine data" thing is irrelevant as i don't have a gatway... Can anyone please help with that?

Thanks!

Hi @Ronnie7,

As the issue only occurs on Power BI service, but not on Power BI Desktop, have you tried removing the entire dataset from Power BI service first, then republishing it from Power BI Desktop to see if it works?Smiley Happy

Regards

Worked!

I tried everything but for some reason didn't think about doing this, cause i thought i would just get the exact same error!

Phew.. I was so desperate at some point.

Thanks!

Thanks I Will apply the same for a similar error (cannot convert the value "[Type" ...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing this same issue at the moment, Refreshes perfectly fine in Desktop, facing the above error in Service. Tried removing the dataset and republishing multiple times now. Since Desktop works fine, I am having a hard time trouble shooting this... Fails both with scheduled and manual refresh in Service. Sources: SharePoint Online List and Azure SQL DB... 

@Anonymous Did you ever solve this? I have the same issue and a ticket logged with the support but I'd like to bypass the problem if I can. I have tried removeing the dataset and republish to no avail. I have the source data in Excel workbooks in Sharepoint Online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly not. Right now I am using PowerUpdate to refresh and publish the file daily. It works but is far from ideal..

Too bad, did you file a support ticket? So far I'm quite sure it has something to do with the worst concept in programming since null, Source isolation, ie formula.firewall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I did not, but I have been in direct contact with Power BI support engineers over mail, but after numerous experiments, they supposedly gave up and stopped replying - so I chose an alternate route.

After alot of testing I figured out it indeed was the combining sources that threw the error message in the service but not in the desktop.

My source queries returned Excel workbooks which are tables containing som info with nested tables. This is apparently not enough for PowerBI, you have to return the specific table in a query on it's own if you want to combine them, ie unnest the nested tables each one in it's own source query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope to get some time tonight or tomorrow to do some experiements with my solution, hopefully being able to shed some more light on this - I supposed many users must be affected and puzzled by the error they get from the Service...

I will post here as soon as I find out more.

Update: I finally made it work - and it was your input that sent me in the right direction, Molotch, although a few other tweaks were needed. I was previously trying to remove all my merge joins (using many of these for surrogate keys), as MS support told me these were the root cause of the solution not refreshing in the Service, throwing the Table error. But apparently it was actually my initial setup, where I have a source query on azure sql server level which I am referencing out in multiple queries where in each of them I am expanding the nested Views that I need. All this to only keep one pointer at the actual source. Tweaking this to have each query point at the source directly solved the refresh issue, partly. I then recieved another similar error, only cannot convert type [List]... It turned out I had another query, this time a SPO list, that had some information in nested Lists, again expanding these Lists in the source query and THEN referencing the query into multiple dimensions and a fact, solved the issue.

I am really relieved that I don't have to rely on PowerUpdate (I am a little worried about EULA compliance here anyway..) or some other 3rd party app for updating/publishing anymore, BUT I strongly feel that this area should be given some attention by the development team, as it is directly working agains best practice modelling imo.

Hope someone finds this useful till then - and thanks for making my try once more, Molotch 🙂

/RSK 

Hello RSK, 

Thanks so much for your post. It somehow inspired me cause I hit a similar error. I follow your mindset of expanding the table columns in the first place, and then appending them to a main table. I'm now able to do scheduled and manual refresh in Service. (Source: Microsoft Exchange Connector - Online)

p.s. I feel the same that the PowerBI Dev team should pay attention to this one or at least provide some hints towards this.

Exchange Online Connector.png

Best Regards,

Thanks, RSK.

I always did exactly the same thing you did by referencing multiple tables from source. It had been working fine until I received this error. I followed your solution, and it worked for me now.

It feels weird though. Is it supposed to save more resources, thus faster refresh if we referencing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad that it helped you. I mainly do the referencing to save time if/when a source changes - then I only have to change the path in my source query.

I got the same error.

I combined data from an Excel file on sharepoint online and a Azure SQL database.

It turned out the privacy levels for the data sources for one was set to organization and the other one to public and by setting them both to organization that solved my problem.

Hope this can help you as well

/Erik

Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG, this is it. This was my case - I used a mix of Sharepoint sources with a dataflow, and dataflow was set to Private, while all others were Organizational.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors