Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Warning about the new gateway update (Nov 2020)

Similar to the PBI undocumented SSL Web security errors that spawned in the new PBI Desktop November 2020 release, the gateway seems to have some of the same exact issues. I just installed it on a few of our gateway servers and suddenly we began seeing SSL certificate errors whereas with the October release we didn't have any. We have TLS 1.2 / SSL 3.0 enabled and everything configured like normal, but right when we upgraded we saw that all of our web sources in the gateway just begin to fail with SSL certificate errors and looking at the logs it appears to dictate the same thing. Reading through the notes in the community it looks like MSFT is writing documentation on how to update to their new certs, but this is fairly problematic if it's not described in their blog or release. I now also see a new datasource in the PBI Gateway properties that's just Power BI and that's even failing with an SSL error so I hope a rollback will fix this. MSFT any help?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our service currently does not have port 80 outbound access, which would prevent any CRL checks.  I will test it later by passing it via a proxy instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This list (from the Azure TLS Certificate Changes link) may be accurate but it would be good to get confirmation from someone at Microsoft: -

If you have an environment where firewall rules are set to allow outbound calls to only specific Certificate Revocation List (CRL) download and/or Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) verification locations. You will need to allow the following CRL and OCSP URLs:

@Anonymous Yeah we checked and we don't do any CRL prevent and previously updated the certs when they were announced originally so I think this is an issue with the software.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the other thread about the Certificate Revocation checks, I can only assume that's what has also changed in the Gateway - but we appear to have no obvious way of turning that off.

It may be that the CRL is inaccessible via the server but with out having a URL to that CRL to test the theory, I'm not sure.

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@Anonymous Agreed, do you have your firewalls intercepting your certificates by any chance? We're trying to figure out if that's causing the issue and suddenly something has changed with this behavior.

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Dang @Anonymous have they provided you with the updated certs or where to gather them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No - it wasn't clear what certificate the "IT Team" needed to replace.  I think that's a red herring, personally as it works on a previous version of the gateway.

Something within the November version of the gateway application must have changed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this - I wish I had read it before upgrading the gateway though!

I had the same experience, and Microsoft Power BI support have been.. pretty poor, suggesting it was an issue my side and I needed my "IT Team" to replace "a certificate".  I have updated them that downgrading has resolved the issue, and I'm awaiting an update.

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Heads up after the rollback to October 2020 everything is working perfectly again. Submitting a ticket, hope someone can shed some light on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors