Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

WARNING (Resolved): Power BI & Microsoft Planner integration can DELETE your Workspaces

Hi All,

FYI, it seems that the new Microsoft Planner product is tightly integrated with Power BI Online. Do not make the same mistake as I did, by wiping out all our corporate Workspacess overnight. Hahaha.

Microsoft Planner will automatically show any workspace you have access to in Power BI Workspaces as a 'Plan'. Hence, if you have a workspace in Power BI called 'Corporate Measures', Microsoft Planner will also show a plan called 'Corporate Measures'.

I saw no need to see 'Corporate Measures' as a plan as it is only used to house dashboards, NOT projects. Hence, I deleted the plan in Microsoft Planner. Unfortunately, this also DELETED the 'Corporate Measures' workspace in Power BI.

The weird thing is that the Workspace is now gone, however users can still access the 'missing' dashboards from their own workspace... and we have no idea how to access the original Dashboards.

Don't repeat my mistake by wiping out the majority of your company's Power BI Workspaces 😛

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

FYI. Microsoft has informed me that the problem has now been rectified. It took a lot of complaining from me trying to justify the issue, and it was nice to get a personal thank you from them in the end 🙂

I checked and it has definitely been rectified.

Previously, if you deleted a plan, you actually deleted an entire organisational workgroup/workspace. Now, you only 'Leave' the plan and the workgroup remains intact.

Dan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@djnww

Thanks for sharing your mistake…Did you receive any confirmation after you click delete? If you are aware of that both PBI workspace and plan are O365 groups, maybe you can avoid it. Smiley Sad

Best Regards,

Herbert

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Yes, there is confirmation to delete your 'Plan' from Microsoft Planner. Regardless, an application should NEVER be alllowed to delete something in another application.

There is no point trying to avoid it, because ANYONE in your company will be able to delete your workspaces. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

I have lodged the issue online as well as with our Microsoft representative. No word to date. Very disappointing.

@djnww

You can enter your concern in the Planner’s Feedback Forum. I’ll also report you concern about this integration.

Based on my testing, if user is not admin of this group, user will not have the permission to edit/delete the group. You can assign permissions properly and inform the group admins about this important thing.

Best Regards,

Herbert

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

What you said is true. Only Admin's for a workspace can delete them.

The problem is that within a large organisation, you cannot control who is assigned as an Admin to a workspace. You can have as many admins as you like for a workspace.

We could certainly have a 'policy' telling people to be careful... but a policy will not prevent a lack of awareness. Microsoft still needs to fix the issue.

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

FYI. Microsoft has informed me that the problem has now been rectified. It took a lot of complaining from me trying to justify the issue, and it was nice to get a personal thank you from them in the end 🙂

I checked and it has definitely been rectified.

Previously, if you deleted a plan, you actually deleted an entire organisational workgroup/workspace. Now, you only 'Leave' the plan and the workgroup remains intact.

Dan

Can you tell me how did you connect MS Planner with Power BI? I am struggling to get an answer to this

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It is currently not possible to do this directly in Power BI.

It may be possible to do it with Powerapps & Flow, and then pass the data into Power BI.

D

@djnww Yikes! Sorry to hear that... It sounds like you are talking about Groups... Power BI "Workspaces" are O365 Groups... so yeah, if you built them, you would see them all over your O365 tenant.

And the behavior you are seeing with the content still existing is... known? I can confirm I've seen the same behavior, which is just a word of caution to others to delete all content prior to deleting a workspace/Group.

Due to these Groups obviously having some remanent... maybe you could contact Microsoft to see if you could get them resurrected?...

Man, sorry again - that's rough.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors