Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visuals not loading on Service with DirectQuery connection to a Power BI dataset (AAS)

Hi all,

I write this topic because I'm facing an issue with Power BI Service.

I have reports connected to Power BI datasets in DirectQuery mode (thanks to the new feature in preview). It is working fine on Power BI desktop but when I publish it to the Power BI Service and open it the error "Could not load the model, check the connection to the server and try again" pops up.

I close the error text box and the report opens, I can navigate in the different pages and see the static text boxes inserted and pictures and shapes but every visual that contains data remains white.

Does anyone has an idea from where could the problem come from ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Cado

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuaj-msft 

Finally it turns out that my company is blocking the possibility to use DirectQuery for Power BI datasets because this is a feature in preview so there could be updates to come which would make my work useless...

Do you know when this feature will be accepted as an official one ?

Regards,

Cado

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Jcarterdean
Frequent Visitor

I have possible had users with similar issues(not myself) is it possible it requires build permission on the underlying direct queried dataset not just viewer?

the only other thing I could put it down to is that since it is direct query it would be subject to capacity throttling and query limits?

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please tell me that is your strorage mode "Direct Query" in the bottom right corner of the screen of your Power BI desktop?

v-yuaj-msft_0-1617353470744.png

Have you check your dataset settings and gateway managements if they are configured correctly?

Best Regards,

Yuna

Hi @v-yuaj-msft 

Yes I have the DirectQuery mode in the bottom right corner of my Power BI desktop.

When I go the the settings of the dataset on PBI Service it says that a gateway is not needed because all data sources are in the cloud.

My Oauth2 credentials are okay too.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 110025.png

Is there an other setting I forgot ?

Regards,

Cado

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your reply. 

Can the related report of Power BI Dataset used as a data source be successfully opened? Are you the owner of this Power BI dataset?

Does it need to reset credentials?

Best Regards,

Yuna

@v-yuaj-msft 

I am the owner of the local model of the dataset (created thanks to DirectQuery mode) but I'm not the owner of the Power BI dataset used as data source.

I just replaced the "none" by "organizational" in the credentials setting and now I have the visuals displayed in Service but the data is stil not accessible it gives me this error

Capture d’écran 2021-04-02 113933.png

When I click "see details" it says "impossible to extract data from this visual"

Cado_one_4-1617356661983.png

I tried to connect on desktop to this dataset and it returns this error

Cado_one_5-1617356732957.png

Regards,

Cado

Hi @v-yuaj-msft 

Finally it turns out that my company is blocking the possibility to use DirectQuery for Power BI datasets because this is a feature in preview so there could be updates to come which would make my work useless...

Do you know when this feature will be accepted as an official one ?

Regards,

Cado

I am also facing similar issue, is this issue resolved or still on preview mode, kindly help

Hi @Jcarterdean ,

A proxy model (aka AS Direct Query Composite model) is a model with one or more Analysis Services Direct Query data sources. Proxy models are in Public Preview as of Jan 2021.

Read this Microsoft Power BI Blog post for context on the preview feature and a list of public facing limitations.

Public documentation: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s...

Best Regards,

Yuna

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share more detailed information about these issues? (e.g. snapshot, error message, configurations...) 

Best Regards,

Yuna

Hi @v-yuaj-msft 

Here is the error message, it says "impossible to load the model associated to this report. Check the connection to the server, then try again"

Capture d’écran 2021-04-01 114826.png

My credentials are okay

The Data source is a Power BI dataset connected in DirectQuery mode, the dataset takes its source from Azure Analysis services database

Capture d’écran 2021-04-01 115246.png

When I close the error textbox I can access the report but all visuals that uses data are empty

Capture d’écran 2021-04-01 115410.png

Do you need more informations ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors