Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visualization Colors changing when publishing to web?

Hi Power Bi Community,

I've build a report in Power Bi Desktop which has been published to my workspace. When viewing the report in my workspace the colors are coming through fine. However when I publish to Web the colors change. I did create a json custom template theme for desktop but I'm not sure that is the issue because the colors are fine in my app.powerbi workspace, it's only when I create an embed code that it goes funky. I've found this similar example which is marked as solved but am not seeing a solution there (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Data-colors-changing-once-published-to-web/m-p/322416#M3690...)

The colors that I've manually changed seem to be pulling through fine, but the ones that I let the custom theme "do the work" it pulls funky colors (pink, teal - probably the native colors?)

The published version is also not pulling the custom image I have on each page (the company logo) but it shows up fine in my workspace.

Any ideas or solutions? Thanks in advance!

30 REPLIES 30

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I don't want to go down that route as we have shared the link to the app with 7,000 users in our organization. We would have to send a new link, and we would lose all the previous usage data. In an hour I have a call with a Microsoft Helpdesk member, and I still hope we (they) can come up with another solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, did you get a resolution on this? We have the same problem, the charts in an app look terrible, but look great in the workspace

Thanks

We've indeed been told the problem would be fixed from 9th December, and this would apply to all users. Fingers crossed 😉

HI_IM_THIBBY
Helper I
Helper I

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? This is affecting multiple dashboards on our service and even after the recent update, we're still experiencing this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

RobM
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem. I'm using my own color theme (uploaded to the desktop report as a json file). When I publish to the workspace on Power BI service all the colors are fine, but when I publish to the app the colors change to a very pale set of colors. Interestingly, this only affects the visuals but not text boxes or shapes. Still, it's very annoying because this problem only started just when we were launching the report to a wide group of users (5000+).

Btw, my Power BI desktop version is still from September because since the October update I always get the message "this procuct is installed". Just got the same today when I tried to download the November update. A separate problem, but I thought I might mention it here.

--------

A quick update, 1 hour later.  I have since installed the November update (via advanced download options), but the problem persists. We've noticed an interesting detail. When going straight to the app version, it displayed the wrong colours. When first opening the workspace version on PowerBI service and then going to the app, it shows the correct colours. The problem must have to do with the app cache. Unfortunately, our users can't access the workspace, so they will see the wrong colours

HI_IM_THIBBY
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

I'm also having the same issue, I am using a JSON file like the one below, yet whenever I publish to the app space, the colors change (I'm assuming to the default colors):

{
"name": "Theme",
"dataColors": ["#4b4e53", "#ff0198"],
"background":"#FFFFFF",
"foreground": "#afafaf",
"tableAccent": "#d9d9d9"
}

This issue has only started happening to me recently, not sure why it's happening. Before, I found in a similar post that it could've been because I was using 3 wildcard characters in my visualStyle portion of my JSON file, but after removing that I still experience the issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

I can reproduce your problem with Power bi 2018 Septemper version, this is a bug.

However, when i test with the lastest version 2018 Oct version, it runs with no error. the color of visual after publishing to web shows the same as it shows in desktop or service.

This is my test pbix and json file as a custom theme. 

{
    "name":"MyTheme1",
    "dataColors":["#ff5624", "#21ff13", "#0009db", "#fff780", "#d3d3d3", "#7d00b6"]
}

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I'll test on my end and let you know if the October version gets me all fixed up!

Hi @Anonymous

Is this problem sloved on your site?

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue, but with the default theme.  When I create something in desktop and publish it over to the service, my line charts change colors.  This is problematic as the service seems to think I want several lines that same color.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors