Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visual level filter is ignored on Power BI Service

Hi,

I have an issue with Visual level filter. In Desktop I have added a Visual level filter to one of my charts (Show items when the value is less than 16). But on the Power BI Service the same filter is ignored. I can see that this filter has been added but it is filtered as All, it just ignores what I've selected on the Desktop.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Br,
Edgars

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It looks like I've found what was the problem. I have created selection of bookmarks. And when I created a bookmark for this particular page with this visual, I hadn't had the filter applied yet. So I applied the filter one more time how I want the visual to be and then created a bookmark. Now for all report viewers the filter is applied when they press on bookmark button.

I'm still quite new in Power BI so I didn't know that filters affect also the bookmarks.

Thank you for the help anyway!

Br,

Edgars

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

It should apply the same setting on the filter.

When you re-upload the PBIX does it prompt you to replace existing dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ,

Yes, it prompts with a question if I want to replace the existing dataset with this one. I press Replace, the new data is there but this particular filter is not saved. This has happened to some other visuals as well in this report but I managed to find workarounds for those but not for this one yet.. I assume I'll have to write some kind DAX formula that will give me only top 15 values instead of using the filter.

Br,

Edgars

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, I cannot reproduce your issue here by using the Power BI desktop version 2.65.5313.841 64-bit (December 2018). Did you apply filter after editing the visual level filter?

2.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

I have a version 2.65.5313.621 64-bit (December 2018) and yes, I applied the filter after editing the visual level filter - pressed enter and the Apply filter button became grey/unactive. See screenshots below how it is for me. First is what I see on the Desktop and the second one what I see on the Service. Filter - Top 10 Case Categories.

DesktopDesktopServiceService

Br,
Edgars

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-frfei-msft & @GilbertQ

What I've noticed is that every time I'm publishing a new version of the report, field "Reset to default" becomes active and yellow. When I press it then everything is correct because then report shows author's default view of the report.

Solution.JPG

It is the same for other report viewers. They have to press this button every time they enter this report to "activate" that particular filter.

In addition to the fact that filter is being ignored, sometimes the sorting is also ignored on that visual. In the web it sometimes is sorted by the name instead of the amount.

Br,
Edgars

Hi there

Yes that is currently by design so that every person can have their own view.

When a person first views the report they will have the author's default state.

You can also change this setting if you do not want it to be applied in your PBIX under options then put in the tick under Persistent Filters

image.png

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sounds like this could solve the problem so that the end users only see the original filters (the ones that have been saved and published from the Desktop). I checked/marked this field but it didn't help for some report's end users. They still see this visual without that filter and the sorting is also not the same as in the Desktop - in Desktop the sorting is based on amount, but on the Service the sorting is displayed based on the name for that end user. See the screenshot below. Reset to default button is not active anymore (it says that report owner has disabled this option or something). And again that filter is ignored.

111.JPG

Hi there

Could you also look and confirm if this setting is the same in the Power BI Service on the report settings?

image.png

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It looks like I've found what was the problem. I have created selection of bookmarks. And when I created a bookmark for this particular page with this visual, I hadn't had the filter applied yet. So I applied the filter one more time how I want the visual to be and then created a bookmark. Now for all report viewers the filter is applied when they press on bookmark button.

I'm still quite new in Power BI so I didn't know that filters affect also the bookmarks.

Thank you for the help anyway!

Br,

Edgars

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors