Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bergjm2
Helper I
Helper I

ViewDashboard not appearing in O365 Audit Log

I am looking to see if Power BI Usage can be had via the O365 Audit Logs.  After lots of research, the Power BI usage should hit the O365 Audit Logs. 

To test this out, over 3 days ago, I created a trial O365 E5 account, and pushed up some demo Power BI reports I have created.  I created a couple of users and I am logging in out with the various users.  I created an old style workgroup and pushed one report up to that group and created one of the new groups in preview, and pushed a report up to that group.

I see activities for ViewReport, ViewUsageMetrics, and RenameDashboard, but no matter how many times I go into dashboards in different workspaces, I never see activities for ViewDashboard.  According to information I found, including https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing#requirements, the activity should be available in the O365 Audit Log.  Is there something that has to be done to make the ViewDashboard activitie appear in the Audit Log?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mine are now appearing.  I think the issue is the ViewDashboard entries take longer to start appearing when you first turn on audit logging, with the other events appearing sooner.  About 3 days (including weekend) after turning on  audit logging, the dashboard view events started appearing.  Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @bergjm2,

By my tests, we could see the Viewed Dashboard option under the Activities list.

Viewed Power BI Dashboard.png

Here is my test result.

Capture.PNG 

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Mine are now appearing.  I think the issue is the ViewDashboard entries take longer to start appearing when you first turn on audit logging, with the other events appearing sooner.  About 3 days (including weekend) after turning on  audit logging, the dashboard view events started appearing.  Thanks for the help.

Hi @bergjm2,

If you have solved your problem, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors