Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

View the file size of the export

I have noticed something very dangerous about Power BI and I am hoping there is a solution. Is there a way to see the file size of your matrix or table in service or desktop with a live connection? Service has a file size export limit but does not tell you that you have hit it. If you export summarized data, it will export as normal and then the excel totals do not tie whats in the report. At this point I have no solution to the export issue but would at least like to know the file size of the PBI reports so I know if the error will occur. 

For anyone considering adopting PBI and may come across this, I will say this tool does not really appear to be suited towards big data pulls of 25MB tables or more. Not saying competitors are better, but PBI has created a terrible headache in our organization

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous - So to be clear, by "Is there a way to see the file size of your matrix or table in service or desktop with a live connection?" you meant that you want to see the size of an individual table or matrix on your report? And as a blanket limitation csv export is 30k and xlsx limit is 150k, if the data is larger than this it is truncated.

Also, if you want to know the exact file size of the pbix file, you can always just check from your local where it is saved on. Also, there is NO data size limitation. It is just row count limitation. You can always use the Analyze in Excel option to have the FULL data in excel.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous - So to be clear, by "Is there a way to see the file size of your matrix or table in service or desktop with a live connection?" you meant that you want to see the size of an individual table or matrix on your report? And as a blanket limitation csv export is 30k and xlsx limit is 150k, if the data is larger than this it is truncated.

Also, if you want to know the exact file size of the pbix file, you can always just check from your local where it is saved on. Also, there is NO data size limitation. It is just row count limitation. You can always use the Analyze in Excel option to have the FULL data in excel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors