Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Astro
Helper I
Helper I

View Related: Last Dataset Refresh

Hi,

Users of our Power BI apps are used to clicking the "View Related" link in the list of reports on the Power BI service and seeing the Last Dataset Refresh date. This avoided us having to take up real estate on each report and gave them an indication of how up-to-date each report was.

That link no longer shows the datasets and the date of the last data refresh. Is there a way of getting this back? I've attached an image of what it used to look like.

Regards

Nick

Dataset refresh date.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got confirmation that it will come back but that they don`t have a date for the redeployment..... It is working/back (for testing purpose) internally at Microsoft.

We use it mostly for end of month reporting (a lot of refresh) so hope to be back before end of November.

Christyne

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Astro

It is there, the "Last Dataset Refresh" does not appear under Datasets, but it does appear under Reports or Dashboards.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Not for anyone in our organisation it doesn't.  This is evidenced in the screenshots. We're not clicking datasets, we're clicking the View Related link next to the Report when navigated to one of our Power BI apps.

yet another screencapture.jpg

Best wishes

Nick

Hi @Astro,

"Not for anyone in our organisation it doesn't." Based on my undertanding,  the people who have same permission for the report, some of them have the feature, while some others don't have, right? If it is, We have no power to check your own data in backend to find detailed reason. I personally suggest you create a support ticket on the right bottom of this page

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

No this issue is not varying by user. A few weeks ago everyone in our organisation could see the list of datasets and the last refresh date in the "View Related" link which is besides the report name in the App view (see screenshot in previous message - not the workspace). Now, the link is still present for everyone but the data about the dataset used by the report is missing.

So, it would appear to be an update from Microsoft which has amended the data presented within this part of the Power BI service.  I will raise a ticket.

Thanks

Nick

Astro,

We have the same issue since Monday, it was working last week and the weeks before.  All our training doc give that information and now users of the App contact us saying it`s not showing !

It still work in the workspace but not for any of the Apps we`ve created.

We did open a ticket with Microsoft.

Hi Christyne,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad I'm not alone in reporting this though obviously not glad you're suffering the same issue. It's slightly discomforting that Microsoft can remove functionality (however small) to the detriment of customers. Oviously with on-premise solutions updates can be thoroughly impact tested but not a cloud service such as Power BI.

Nick

I got confirmation that it will come back but that they don`t have a date for the redeployment..... It is working/back (for testing purpose) internally at Microsoft.

We use it mostly for end of month reporting (a lot of refresh) so hope to be back before end of November.

Christyne

Hi Christyne,

Is there any update on this Issue from the Microsoft. I see the discussion says 'this issue is solved'. However, I dont find a fix for this. Does that mean this is still an open bug in Microsoft Power BI ?

Thanks, 

whoami141

Thanks for the update Christyne,

You're obviously having more success than I am with MS support. I'm being asked to send them trace files whilst accessing Power BI apps despite the fact this is affecting all users and they could verify it themselves if they'd only bother looking Smiley Frustrated

Nick

Hi @Astro,

Please mark the reply @Christyne posted as answer, so more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

This is broken yet again. The Last Refresh date is there against the Dataset with the Reports section of our apps but the date does not update when the dataset is refreshed. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Nick

Hi @Astro

I now see what you mean.

My educated guess is that because it is in an App it does not have access to the underlying reports in the same context as when you are in your workspace or when you have permissions to edit in an App Workspace.

I would suggest looking for an idea or posting an idea.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The confusion is that the data was there until last week. We have screenshots in documentation which has been trained out to users across our organisation and they were using that link to check the recency of the data. We will now have to change every report and the documentation. But, since it has disappeared without warning, I don't know whether that is just a temporary "feature" and it will re-appear once again.

Nick

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Astro,

As I tested, when you right click the dataset in Power BI service, you will see the latest refresh date like the highlighted in blue line.

1.PNG

When I click "MANAGE PERMISSIONS", I will get a similar interface line your screenshot, besides I don't find any option like "View Related", could you please share where you get the "View Related" option? 

2.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

"View Related" is found by navigating to a Power BI App and then it's listed under "Actions" in the Reports Section.

View Related Link.jpg

The screen shot from my previous message was from late September and shows the result of clicking this link. It lists the datasets in that report and the last refresh date. All of our users know they can (could) click here to find out how recent the data was. They only have access to the app and not the workspace.

Now clicking this link has suddenly stopped displaying details of the datasets. This has changed in the last week.

Missing Details.jpg

I wondered whether this was a permanent change or a bug. Our users have relied on this and now we'd have to change every report to put a tile containing the refresh date.

Thanks

Nick

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors