Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SusieBentley
Advocate II
Advocate II

View Related Content - not updating when data source changed (shared datasets)

I have a shared data set in workspace ('Report v1') and created a report in Desktop that uses Report v1 as a datasource. I have then added a new shared data set into the same workspace ('Report v2'), and have opened the linked report and updated the data source to refer to Report v2 instead of Report v1. This has been applied succesfully, but the lineage view and 'View Related Content' still shows Report v1 as the data source. Even when I go the Manage Permissions page, Report v2 is showing no associated reports/dashboards, whereas Report v1 shows a relationship to the report.

When I donwnload the report from the Service it clearly shows Report v2 as the data source.

Is this usual behaviour? If you change a data source, the related content views are not updated in the Service?

It's causing much confusion!

thanks in advance...

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently there is not data lineage between App Workspaces where the dataset has been shared across multiple App Workspaces.

This is something that I have read that they are working on.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your reply.

The reports and shared datasets are all in the same workspace so this isn't the issue.

My problem is that I have a Power BI report using Report 1 as a shared dataset. When I open the .pbix file and update the data source settings to use Report 2 as the data source, the Service doesn't seem to acknowledge the change. Even after I save the .pbix file and republish. Veiwing related content still shows Report 1 as the data source, even though the report/visuals etc are clearly using Report 2 as the data source...

It's as if the metadata in the Service is not catching up..?

Hi there

If I understand your question then is Report 2 not using the same data source (Which is the same shared dataset)?

Power BI Blog

No not quite... put simply, I have two reports I'm using as shared datasets and I've changed my linked report from using the first shared data set to the second. However the Power BI Service still shows that the first shared dataset is in use, even when I've changed my linked report not to use this source any more...

Ahhh ok that is not right.

I would suggest looking a support request so that they can get this fixed then!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors