Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JasonRoy
Frequent Visitor

Very Strange Bug(?) - RLS Inconsistent Behavior, only working for certain users

Hello,

I'm currently working with a client of mine to clean up various reporting needs. I'm an external consultant and have been brought in to "pick up the scraps" so to speak. I have been looking into a very strange RLS issue since last Thursday and can't seem to put my finger on what's wrong.

To elaborate - I have a list of managers that need to see their respective employees' numbers. It works for some users but I have one user for certain whose RLS isn't working when SHE logs in. If I "Test as Role" with her username and correct RLS role I receive the correct results on both Power BI Desktop AND Power BI Service.

Additionally, there are two versions of this report. One of which where the user wants to see all of the data and the other which she wants to just her employees. Both of these reports have the EXACT same RLS roles defined and the user at-hand can only access data in ONE of those reports.

I've been playing around with different techniques and tests all to no avail. If any of you have experienced something like this and have some pointers, that would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more information if necessary. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Could you see if the user has been added to any of the App Workspaces as a member or an Admin?

Possibly they have been added as a member or admin in an App Workspace, and if it is V1 then the RLS will not be applied when they log in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I checked both workspaces and the only users in them are developers and, unfortunately, none of these users at-hand are developers. 

Both workspaces are the old workspace experience. These users have dashboards shared with them and the reports that are attached to the dashboards shared with them. But they aren't members of any workspaces and no Apps have been published if that makes sense. 

Hi there

If the user can upload to the workspace I would take an educated guess that they then have writes to upload, which would then give them Admin access?

Power BI Blog

The user isn't actually even a member of the workspace so they don't have the ability to publish reports. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they had Admin access then they would be able to see all of the data regardless of their role right?

Hi there

If you are using V1 of the App Workspace there is a bug that all members of the App Workspace will see all the data when RLS has been applied.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors