Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KenvM
Frequent Visitor

Version Control, Automated Deployments, and Shared Data Sets

Hello,

We've got a few questions about how best to work with Power BI. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight, or possibly direct us to a roadmap that will help answer where Microsoft is going with Power BI.

1. What is the recommended approach to source control? Our developers use git, but I'm not sure I want to introduce that to our power users. I've found some articles (example: http://www.desertislesql.com/wordpress1/?p=1482) that reference using Sharepoint/One Drive, but it seems that doesn't work with App Workspaces anymore?

1. It looks like the only option for automated deployment is using UIAutomation.dll (or something similar) to refresh the .pbix (or, alternatively a .pbit) and then publish it to Power BI - either using the desktop client to publish or the API. Are there plans or a timeline for improving this?

1. We create Data Sets in .pbix files and then connect to them as a Power BI Service. However, this doesn't appear to work across App Workspaces. This means we either need to track which workspace the file is deployed to, or have multiple copies of the file. Is there a better approach to this?

Thanks,

Ken

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@KenvM wrote:

Hello,

We've got a few questions about how best to work with Power BI. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight, or possibly direct us to a roadmap that will help answer where Microsoft is going with Power BI.

1. What is the recommended approach to source control? Our developers use git, but I'm not sure I want to introduce that to our power users. I've found some articles (example: http://www.desertislesql.com/wordpress1/?p=1482) that reference using Sharepoint/One Drive, but it seems that doesn't work with App Workspaces anymore?

1. It looks like the only option for automated deployment is using UIAutomation.dll (or something similar) to refresh the .pbix (or, alternatively a .pbit) and then publish it to Power BI - either using the desktop client to publish or the API. Are there plans or a timeline for improving this?

1. We create Data Sets in .pbix files and then connect to them as a Power BI Service. However, this doesn't appear to work across App Workspaces. This means we either need to track which workspace the file is deployed to, or have multiple copies of the file. Is there a better approach to this?

Thanks,

Ken

@KenvM

• At this moment, there's no offical support for version control, some in this forum use Visual Studio to do ther version control. You can check this idea Dataset/Report Version Control and vote it up.
  • What improvement do you expect? You can develop your own UI with the API Create Import if you don't like Power BI Desktop.
  • What is your senario while you hope the reports cross workspaces? You can pin live page to a dashboard and then share the dashboards to those who're not in that workspace. Or you may apply Row Level Security if security is the main concern for using multiple workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors