Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Verifying migration of tenant

I want to migrate the Power BI service tenant from one geo-region to another Power BI service geo region. 

Do I need to migrate reports one by one or can migrate the workspace?

Is their any direct method to do that?

If not then How can I verify the reports/ workspace as has been migrated successfully?

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous I'm going through this right now. The entire "migration" is manual. You will need to back up all of the reports into PBIX files. Validate and store all gateway data sources and configurations, and mapp all users reports are shared with. The "migration" is just MSFT blowing away your environment and creating it in a new geo region. Then you have to re-deploy everything.

You will lose all PBI Service side objects. So all dashboards will need to be re-created.

You will not be able to turn on a different region and "move" things.

I made extensive use of the admin APIs to create reports of all objects within the system, and track down areas of interest. I still have not cut-over as I am still completing my migration plan.

There will be no way to "validate" whether or not you got everything. I would recommend that you communicate early and often with all Power BI users to ensure they know that this cutover is happening. They should manage their own migration of personal reports, while you manage the larger organizational shared objects.

Not pretty, not fun is how I look at this.

In terms of "how" - you open a support ticket, they will send you a document to fill out, and you request the move. You must be a global admin of your organization, or have one, sign off on the move.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, Seth. My company is migrating a dozen or so corporate users from one of our company's tenants to our own new tenant. I'm responsible for Power BI and haven't found any helpful information aside from yours. I figured PBI migration would be 100% manual.

One the bright side, I have a small # of users and a corporate IT led implementation that follows a deployment model of 1) uploading pbix files to the OneDrive associated with the Workspace the pbix will be deployed to then 2) connecting to the pbix from the PBI workspace via Get Data>Files>OneDrive - {Workspace Name}. I implemented this deployment model because of OneDrive's built-in version control and now get the additional benefit of a pretty streamlined (albeit still manual) migration path:

1. Re-create workspaces in new Power BI (target) tenant
  2. Download pbix files from current Power BI (source) tenant
  3. Upload pbix files to corresponding workspaces in target tenant
  4. Follow deployment approach Get Data>Files>OneDrive - {Workspace Name}

Thanks again for the helpful information!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our organization is in the same situation, we want to move our Power BI tenant from West US to West US 2 region.  Do we need to spin a new Power BI tenant on West US 2 region and migrate all the reports, datasets, etc from West US region?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

@Anonymous You can't spin up a new Power BI tenant within the same tenant even if it is a different region, thus the need to go through this exercise. You could create a brand new company tenant, but that likely defeats the purpose or need to do a region move for Power BI within the existing tenant. Essentially, you need to plan on manually log and download all reports, document all gateways and what dashboards, Apps, etc you need to re-create. This request will blow away your existing Power BI tenant, and you will need to re-deploy everything after MSFT creates the new tenant in the requested region... not fun.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response @Seth_C_Bauer Much helpful.

Let me re-iterate this based on my understanding

1. We have to create a brand new Power BI tenant (new office 365 environment, new AAD, etc.)

2. All the existing User accounts, AD groups has to be migrated to new tenant because it is new organization tenant right?

3. Need to manually re-publish all the existing reports, datasets, etc. to the new tenant

Questions:

1. How to get a specific region while we are creating a new power bi tenant, because my understanding is when office 365 global administrator create a new power bi tenant, by default the data centre location get selected automatically based on the geo (Ex: NA) and our current location right?  Should we need to raise a special request to MSFT asking for West US 2 region?

2. We may have to migrate all the existing Office 365 services (flow, power apps, sharepoint files, onedrive, teams, etc.) and the existing Azure subscriptions and resource groups?

@Anonymous Gotcha, this is a different scenario. In either case, I would create a support ticket as the MSFT support team will be able to provide you with the best up to date information on what they currently support. My initial thought is it is still likely the same in that you will need to manually move everything, but they should have the ability to direct you on how you can create the tenant in the region you want, instead of where it defaults. It will likely take them doing it for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer for your valuable inputs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors