Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBINick
Regular Visitor

Utilizing a shared Sharepoint Folder

Hello.

My goal is to create a dashboard that will schedule refresh without the use of a gateway. In order to this, I have been utilizing personal sharepoint files/folders for my data. Now I want to input data from a folder on sharepoint that someone else has shared with me. When following the same steps that I used for my personal files, but with the shared folder, all the data shows is "null". Is there anyway to do this?

Thank you,

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Is the folder on SharePoint Online or SharePoint Server on premises? If it's SharePoint Online you indeed won't need a gateway.

It's hard to know exactly where porting your existing query to the new source fails without screenshots and code samples. I suggest you create a new query from scratch (i.e. from Get Data) that points to the SharePoint folder, then re-create or copy/paste the transformation steps from the previous query, if you're comfortable using the Advanced Editor.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

The folder is on SharePoint Online. I tried starting a new query from scratch and tried uploading the data from the folder, but the same problem with "null" data. Could you provide step by step instructions to uploading data from a shared folder (that I am not the owner of) on SharePoint Online to PowerBI? Thank you!

Here's a good resource:

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/get-data-from-onedrive-or-sharepoint-with-power-query

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Hello, I already tried those methods to try to upload my data, but they provide the same results of "null". Is there any other method that I can upload data from a shared SharePoint folder to PowerBI and still use no gateway? Thank you for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors