Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhatsuchi
Frequent Visitor

Using the Usage Metrics dataset with other datasets

Hi,

I am trying to use the Usage metrics dataset of one of my dashboards and create another report with additional datasets from SQL server tables. However, I am unable to get data from any other source in the same report that has the Usage metrics dataset.. Get data is disabled in the report that uses the usage metrics dataset. Is there a workaround to do this?

Thanks,

Suchitra

6 REPLIES 6
bhatsuchi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am trying to use the Usage metrics dataset of one of my dashboards and create another report with additional datasets from SQL server tables. However, I am unable to get data from any other source in the same report that has the Usage metrics dataset.. Get data is disabled in the report that uses the usage metrics dataset. Is there a workaround to do this?

Thanks,

Suchitra

Hi @bhatsuchi,

Connecting to a dataset in power bi service, this is a kind of live connection, so modeling is disabled, similar to the behavior when connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services. So it is not possible to meet your requirement. For more details, please check the online document.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response, Frank. Do you think there is any other way that I could achieve this? My specific requirement is to map the users from the usage metrics report to their roles in the organisation, and the roles is in another database table to which I need to join on the alias(which I can get from the usage metrics report).

Thanka again!

Hi @bhatsuchi,

Based on my test, we can export the data of the users firstly as csv, then we can get the table and another database table merged by importing two tables in desktop.

fo.png

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thank you Frank, I don't think this will work in my case(Correct me if I'm wrong, though!). I need the usage metrics data periodically auto-refreshed too. Let's say once every hour. If I export it into a csv, is there a way of doing an auto-refresh on the file?

On the other hand, I found a solution template for usage metrics by Neal Analytics. I am looking at the possibilities of that resolving my problem. But it comes with a subscription fee and that may not be an accepted solution.

Hi @bhatsuchi,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case please.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors