Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using r to pull data from app.powerbi.com

I've been searching and searching trying to find out whether or not something can be done.

There is a Power BI report within my company that I have access to. For reasons to complicated to explain, I need to reproduce some of the visualizations in my own Power BI dashboard.

Currently, what I have to do is click on a graph and export the underlying data, which comes as a csv file. I have to do this manually for 3 different plots. I know Power BI can do some web scraping, but I get access issues, if I try to do this using Power BI. I've learned from our IT, that in order for me to do this, I'd have to be named as a co-owner of the site I'm scraping. I'm not sure that can happen.

Is there a way I could use R from my end to export the underlying data for me?

To be clear--I can manually export the underlying data I need just accessing the site through my browser. I'd like to be able to have either R or Power BI do this for me.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Nope, power bi service not support to use r script.(editor functions and coding formula has been disabled on power bi service side)

You can only consider to use existed features to export data.

Export data from visualizations

If you mean use r script to get data from power bi, you can refer to below blog to get data from power bi rest api:

How to Access Any RESTful API Using the R Language

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Nope, power bi service not support to use r script.(editor functions and coding formula has been disabled on power bi service side)

You can only consider to use existed features to export data.

Export data from visualizations

If you mean use r script to get data from power bi, you can refer to below blog to get data from power bi rest api:

How to Access Any RESTful API Using the R Language

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors