Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vamshi95

Using of SQL Server alias name instead of server name is not working in gateway

Can we use the SQL Server alias name(which is created using sql server configuration manager) as server name while creating the data source in Gateway?

I am able to create the data source using server name but not with alias name.

It would be a great help if you can respond for this post.

3 REPLIES 3
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @vamshi95,
Can you try connecting via SSMS using this alias? if it works, the enterprise gateway should work as well.

Another thing to check is ensure you are connecting via the alias name in the PBI desktop and match it in the gateway(Assuming the above works).

Thanks dimazaid for looking into my post. I am able to connect to SSMS using alias name and I am able to connect to.

I am able to connect to it using Power BI desktop as well, but unable to create datasource in gateway.

Is there anything I need to check on it.

From Power BI desktop we connect to SQL Server on our development database server with a (recent) copy of the production database. After publishing we want to connect to the live database on our production database server; however, this server needs to have the same name (or IP-address) to get the data through the gateway. We solved this issue by adding an entry to the .hosts file on both the laptop with Power BI desktop and on the server running the Enterprise Gateway, both pointing to the IP-address of the proper server. I'll have to admit it is a dirty hack, but hey, it works, so maybe it provides a solution for you too when you seek to use a different server using the same name in both environments. I could not find any information on whether SQL Server instance aliases are recognized by the gateway; you'll never know waht happens exactly under the hood.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors