Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mapowe
Employee
Employee

Using UserObjectId for Row Level Security

Hi,

I'm trying to implement row-level security using the UserObjectId instead of UserPrincipleName

To check this, I created a measure WhoAmI = USEROBJECTID()

In PBI Desktop, this measure on a card returns my Security Identifier.

But when published to PBI Service, the same card returns "pbidotcominternal.analysis.windows.net" even though I'm logged in with the same login.

So 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to implement RLS with the UserObjectId?

2) Why is the USEROBJECTID() not returning my AAD Object ID (expected behavior based on the documentation)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mapowe 

As far as I am aware you CANNOT use USEROBJECTID() because it cannot get the correct SID when using the Power BI Service.

You should be able to use the USERPRINCIPALNAME() which will return the logged in user, which will allow you to then use Object Level Security.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mapowe 

As far as I am aware you CANNOT use USEROBJECTID() because it cannot get the correct SID when using the Power BI Service.

You should be able to use the USERPRINCIPALNAME() which will return the logged in user, which will allow you to then use Object Level Security.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors