Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chopinrlz

Using Tabular Cubes On-Prem with Azure Gateway

Hi everyone. I'm looking to setup a Power BI dashboard in the cloud with on-prem tabular model SSAS cubes as the data source. My understanding is this is possible using an Azure Analysis Services on-premises data gateway configured in Azure with an on-premises data gateway setup and registered. While setting up a mockup of this environment in DEV I ran into a challenge.

1. How does one get the Cloud SSAS instance talking to the on-prem tabular models?

1a. Can I simply use Power BI Desktop to open the on-prem tabular models then publish the PBIX to SSAS in Azure and Poof! it just works?

2. Or do I take the on-prem tabular models I already have and publish those to Azure Analysis Services and the refresh will go through the data gateway to on-prem SQL Server?

I created the sample AdventureWorks model in Azure Analysis Services and I see that I can open it in Power BI Desktop.  It doesn't seem to get data from anywhere, however.  I'm still working my way through all the Microsoft Docs.  Not afraid of reading if you know where to point me.

Thanks for taking the time to read my inquiry!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You can connect to your on-prem analysis services using the gateway

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas

If your cube is Azure Analysis Services you can connect directly from the Power bi Service, you just need to configure the credentials.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You can connect to your on-prem analysis services using the gateway

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas

If your cube is Azure Analysis Services you can connect directly from the Power bi Service, you just need to configure the credentials.

Power BI Blog

Beautiful, this is the elegant I solution I was hoping for. And thank you for sending over the link to the SSAS article for the gateway!  The whole Azure Analysis Services setup in the Gateway sent me on a tangent when the answer was just sitting in the Power BI Gateway configuration menu. Appreciate the help!

Thanks for letting me know.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors