Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Using Power BI to create tables with many columns

Im looking into someones reports and why they are running so slowly. All the pages seem to just have tables on them with lots of columns. Im not seeing the usual bar and column charts where maybe I would drill down to a more detailed chart.

It feels like they arent using Power BI in the way its been intended but I want to be able to word this in a good way.

What would yor say If a report you were looking at consisted of just tables with many many columns?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @DebbieE 

It's ok if we use only tables in the report, table is always enderestimated visuals, but it gives great performance and solves the purpose. I have seen some projects where only tables were required and it solved the purpose very well 🙂

Regarding slowness, it's hard to say without looking at the files, but as per your explanation, so many columns, measures are not well optimized, and most importantly data model design can be the major factor for slowness.

View solution in original post

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @DebbieE ,

I would think that only putting tables is not really using the "power" of Power BI.  I wouldn't say it is necessarily wrong and I wouldn't think that the slowness is related to the types of visuals. 

They may have something that has a "difficult" link and it takes a long time to render - like they are using two or more fields in the visual that have multiple hops through relationships before they can be displayed.  That is less common though. 

My thinking is to find where the slowness is coming - is it in the retreival of the data?  Or, is it in the Power Query where they did some interesting things?  Or, is it in rendering tables with lots and lots of columns that have relationships that have multiple hops through the relationships?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @DebbieE ,

I would think that only putting tables is not really using the "power" of Power BI.  I wouldn't say it is necessarily wrong and I wouldn't think that the slowness is related to the types of visuals. 

They may have something that has a "difficult" link and it takes a long time to render - like they are using two or more fields in the visual that have multiple hops through relationships before they can be displayed.  That is less common though. 

My thinking is to find where the slowness is coming - is it in the retreival of the data?  Or, is it in the Power Query where they did some interesting things?  Or, is it in rendering tables with lots and lots of columns that have relationships that have multiple hops through the relationships?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @DebbieE 

It's ok if we use only tables in the report, table is always enderestimated visuals, but it gives great performance and solves the purpose. I have seen some projects where only tables were required and it solved the purpose very well 🙂

Regarding slowness, it's hard to say without looking at the files, but as per your explanation, so many columns, measures are not well optimized, and most importantly data model design can be the major factor for slowness.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think in this case its the model and they need to focus on that model. Ive mentioned that tables arent taking full advantage of the tabular model and may be slower which is another reason to get that model right

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors