cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caffeinatedgeek Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Using Power BI service without an Office 365 account

I can see how in Azure to add a previously purchased license to a user in Azure Active Directory Blade.  However, how do I purchase a license if I don't have Office 365 for my organization?

Highlighted
caffeinatedgeek Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I can see how in Azure to add a previously purchased license to a user in Azure Active Directory Blade.  However, how do I purchase a license if I don't have Office 365 for my organization?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm facing the same issues. added the user domain into Azure Active Directory somehow still unable to purchase POWER BI PRO licenses... anyone have clearer solution for this? thanks...

harboura New Member

I see the word "solved" but no solution in the thread. I setup power BI with the free trial. it was working. Now the trial is over and im ready to hand over my money but it still looks like i have to set up an office 365 account to do this. Is the solution to sign up for a free trial every month?
ChrisH Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi there

Is this stil the case - ie that you need an O365 subscription to use PowerBI?

Regards

Chris

JosefPrakljacic Established Member
Established Member

Not it isn't the case.

I found the accepted answer a bit confusing and would like to answer the whole thread again.

You dear reader are the IT-Admin. Your users X,Y,Z are users from the controlling department of your company "WhatEver".

The users heard that Power BI offers great features and got trial accounts without talking to the IT department. How did these users proceed?

1. They registered with their email x@whatever.com, y@whatever.com [...]
2. Microsoft has created an AzureAD in the background. (You don't know that yet ;-) )
3 The trial has now expired and your Users want to extend it. They now contact you.
4. Your company does not use O365, Sharepoint online etc. yet.
5. You register for instance also to PowerBI or you log in to office365 where you can also find this grid in the left hand corner

6. If you are also registered to Power BI -> You enter the PowerBI Service

2019-08-18 10_52_04-Posteingang - Josef.Prakljacic@braincourt.com - Outlook.png

8. You click on Admin

2019-08-18 10_54_11-Power BI.png

9. You see that page

2019-08-18 10_54_48-Become the admin.png

10. You do that thing here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/users-groups-roles/domains-admin-takeover

11. In the O365 Portal/Tenant now your are able to buy&assign the licenses.

Short Q&A

Do you need O365 licenses? -> No

Do you need an O365 Tenant which actualy is an AzureAD Tenant -> Yes

Very Important Smiley Very Happy -> If you think that this post was helpful. Please share some Kudos 

ChrisH Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Josef

Exactly the info I needed and no one seemed able to provide.

Thanks so much  - really appreciate it!!

Regards

Chris

diegochb New Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

So is there a cost behind "Do you need an O365 Tenant which actualy is an AzureAD Tenant -> Yes" ?

I have a similar case as the original case... I work in a company where they have everthing purchased and just... use powerbi.

Someone outside the company, liked it and wants to use it in his 3 employee company, but has no MS licencing products... is there a free - low cost path to recomend to them? a monthly fee is too much for this company and they wont be able to go that route but work ok if its sommething they can pay once, and host any database locally ... 

Thanks!

Diego

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 309 members 3,577 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: