Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Jig_S
Frequent Visitor

Using Multiple Cross-Filter Interactions PowerBI Embedded

Hello, 

We have created our product through embedding multiple reports on our web portal for our clients to consume the rich analytics experience provided by PowerBI dashboards. Each report has approx. 4-5 different visual elements i.e. Bar-Charts, Donuts, etc.

We observed that while cross-filtering we can only cross-filter on one visual where all the other visual re-configure based on the selection of the visual. 

How can we make this happen with more than one visual. Say we select a bar-chart visual, and then is it possible to hold 'CTRL' key to select visuals from the other cross-filtered visuals to see the corresponding changes in the remaining visuals. If it is possible, what configurations are required to enable this functionality.

Thanks & Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jig_S,

As I  mentioned in my above post, if we select multiple items on one visual, and then to select items on another visual, then the items in original visual will be removed. So I don't think your requirement can be achieved in current version of Power BI.

For this requirement, I would recommend you submit a feature request in the idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
aucklanduser
Helper I
Helper I

This feature is now working, you can control click across multiple visuals successfully
sean-byers

Was this ever submitted as an idea on the Power BI Ideas forum?

I am looking for the same functionality as it would be very helpful for some of the reports that I've built where I like to use visuals as my data slicers

I think it was submitted as ideas

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9325809-use-charts-as-slicers

Though they might not have implemented the full intended functionality. See the second comment.

Thanks,

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jig_S

What do you mean by cross-filtered visuals?

I have tested it on my local environment, we can select multiple item inside one visual. If we select multiple items on one visual, and then to select item on another visual, then the items will be removed.

If this is not what you want, please provide us more information, if possible provide us some screenshots, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply. We need to select multiple items across visuals. Say we select an item in 1st Visual, and then want further cross-filter related to the other visuals, we should be able to select the items across visuals so that we can analyze what is the effect on one visual on selecting items from multiple visuals. Its like an "AND/OR" implementation, but on a visual level.

Thanks & Regards,

Jigar

Hi @Jig_S,

As I  mentioned in my above post, if we select multiple items on one visual, and then to select items on another visual, then the items in original visual will be removed. So I don't think your requirement can be achieved in current version of Power BI.

For this requirement, I would recommend you submit a feature request in the idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I totally want this to happen as well. Hope it does! 

As a side note - this might be possible with PBI embedded if you can capture the filter settings using javascript. Just an idea!

I am also looking for this functionality in Power BI.  Multiple-cross filtering among visuals is the default behavior of Qlik Sense. It is also very intuitive.

I am very disappointed that Power BI does not implement this important feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors