Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tcash
Helper I
Helper I

Using Custom Reports from a Content Pack after authorization is removed from the Pack

I am testing the impact of removing permissions to a  Content Pack.   Here is  the scenario:

1. User gets the Content Pack and makes a copy of the Report.  
  2. User modifies the copied report while saving it.
  3. A snapshot copy of the Dataset is automatically created for the User and the copied Report uses the copied Dataset.
  4. Content Pack author removes the user's authorization for the Content Pack
  5. Result:
    • User has no visibility to the Content Pack via Get Data
    • User has no visibility to the Content Pack within their Workspace
    • User still HAS visibility to the Copied Report and the Copied Dataset.   The copied dataset continues to refresh with the original source's refresh schedule.   So, the user loses no functionality for their custom report that was based upon a Content Pack although they no longer have access to the Content Pack.

The user's continued visibility to the copied contents was a result that was not expected by me.   Is this continued visibility in fact the expected behavior from the Power BI Service?

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tcash,

Based on my test, if we publish the content pack to a specific group and the user1 is a member of this group, this user can get content pack to their workspace and create a copy. You can see that the copy of the dataset is shared, as there is a share button at the head of the dataset copy. Once we remove the user1 from that specific group, the user1 will not able to access the original content pack content and copy. Sometimes, there is a delay after we remove permission for the user, you can refresh the page to see if copy disappear.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Qiuyun,

I retested and my results differ from yours.  Here are the steps and results that I tested this morning.

1. User 1 Creates a new content pack with a report and a dashboard with just a test message in its content
  2. Give permission to a Group A
  3. Group A retrieves the Content Pack via Get Data and can see the report
  4. Group A makes a copy  of the report
  5. User 1 removes Group A's permission
  6. Group A can still see the content pack report and the custom copy
  7. When Group A attempts to copy the content pack report the copy fails with the message: 

The organizational content pack could not be copied.
    Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

8. Group A can still make copies of the copied report and make new reports from the copied dataset
  9. User 1 removes the report from the content pack while leaving a dashboard with text content.
  10. Finally Group A can no longer see the content pack report nor the custom copy reports that were formed from the content pack.

Regarding the possible delays in timing of permissions...I tested the scenario through Step 6 and waited for an hour.   Group A can still see and use the content pack report and the custom copy. I will look again tomorrow to see if those reports to which Group A no longer has access are still visible.

Regards Tim

Hi @tcash,

I want to confirm something from you:

1.  User 1 Creates a new content pack with a report and a dashboard with just a test message in its content.

Did that report and dashboard exist in a Power BI group or My Workspace?

2. Give permission to a Group A.

What's the "Group A"? It's a Power BI group member or another thing? Can you tell us how did you grant permission?

In which workspace to get data, My Workspace or Power BI group?

It would be better if you could share more detail steps for us to reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

First of all, I entered this scenario in the Service forum because I did not know whether this was the expected behaviour or a bug.  Perhaps I should have record it in the Issues forum.   In any event,  here are the answers to your most recent questions:

1.  User 1 Creates a new content pack with a report and a dashboard with just a test message in its content.

Did that report and dashboard exist in a Power BI group or My Workspace?  I did not initially mention whether the source of the Power BI objects came from a Power BI group or My Workspace thinking the source type was not relevant.   However, the report and Dashboard in fact did exist in a Power BI group called Group B.

2. Give permission to a Group A.

What's the "Group A"? It's a Power BI group member or another thing? Can you tell us how did you grant permission?  Group A is a Power BI group.    When Group B, the Power BI Group author of the Content Pack, published the Content Pack...Group B gave access permissions to Group A to retrieve the Content Pack.

In which workspace to get data, My Workspace or Power BI group?   Group A, a Power BI group, retrieves the Content Pack into its Power BI Group Workspace and not into My Workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors