Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Copy Reports Feature ..having issues with rights

I used the Copy Report function from Workspace A to WorkSpace B  ... Each workspace has their own viewers some overlap some do not ...  the Dataset shows as Linked .  The users that have Read accesss to the Workspace ,,, Is getting an error message does not have rights ...  We added him to Workspace B , to just test ... it then worked ... Is that the intended practice ... I was thinking , I could change who had access to the Report ...  I was trying to prevent having 2 versions of the same report and data to have to keep updating ... when changes are made ... 

Thanks for any assistance 

Kathy Stachkunas

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

To make a copy, you need a Pro license, even if the original report is in a workspace in a Premium capacity. You only see the Save a copy icon if the report is in a new experience workspace, and you have Build permission. Even if you have access to the workspace, you have to have Build permission for the dataset. 

Then you can modify your copy of the report, adding or deleting visuals and other elements. You don't have to worry about creating the data model. It's already created for you. And it's much easier to modify an existing report than it is to start from scratch. You may view related datasets and delete a report and its shared dataset.

For further information, please refer to the official document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft 

we all have Pro Licenses , I am able to copy the Report ... The problem is that when it is in a different workspace , which has different access to the Reports and workspace it does not appear to be using that workspace according to the emails I recieved from my VIP user ... So I had to give me accesss to the original workspace ...  as a viewer ... Did not want to do that ...   It might have been the user , but hard to say ...  the first user shared the link , to the second user ,,,  But both have viewer Rights ... So I was confused .... We have been maintaining 2 copies of the same report , and I did not want to do that if we can stop ... It makes it hard when we make minor changes.   

I just want to make sure that I understand that   No Row Level Security on the Data ... so that is not an issue ... 

Thanks ... read the documenation but I did not see this addressed... I can try to add a new user to  Workspace B  not in Workspace A that is not a VIP so that I can try to figure out the issue ...     

Kathy Stachkunas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors