Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcVndrhgn
Helper I
Helper I

Users with free power bi license cannot access apps in premium workspace

Hello,

We have a problem with our users (with powerbi free license) accessing app in a premium workspace.

Let me explain what I have done; my compay has bought a Power BI Premium plan.
In Power BI Premium, I have configured a Capacity.
In this Capacity, I have created a workspace. This workspace appears with a diamond right besides its name.
The workspace access settings are configured as follow : one admin user (me), one member (the user with the free license).
In this workspace, I have created a very simple report; I have imported the data from an excel sheet and the report contains only one page and on this page there is only one table showing the data.
When the report was published to the Power Bi Services, I went to the workspace, and in the Reports section I clicked on 'Publish app'. I gave a description, in the Content I specified an app landing page to the report I created and in the Access section, I specified the email address of the user with the free license.
And then I clicked on Finish.

On the user's machine, I went to Apps and clicked on Get Apps, I clicked on the app I just published and it appeared in the Apps for this user.
For now, everything is fine.

But now, if I click on the app to see the report, I get a popup window telling me that the content is only for users with a power bi pro license.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

I finally found the problem, the capacity SKUs I was using were EMx and not Px. 

Even after having read the doc multiple times I totally missed the explanation of the EMx nodes. ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium#premium-capacity-nodes )

So I set up a workspace in a Px node, published an app and it was accessible to free powerbi licenced users.

Marc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors