Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Users who have NOT been granted access to dataset and/or report can still see report and dataset

Hello,

We are Power BI Pro users.  We are publishing Excel data to PBI Service.  Those datasets and reports have only ONE user assigned access.  But, everyone in the company can view this data -- even though they have not been granted access.  How do we make the security work.  This is not RLS.  Just simple - you have access -- you do not.  Really need this to work.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes if you publish anything under a group then everyone in that group has access. Inside of the group there is nothing you can do to filter access. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Actually -- this is under a group and users have access to that group.  So, if we have a report /dataset under a given group -- does everyone in that group have access to it?  i.e. Does the group override the report/data set settings?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes if you publish anything under a group then everyone in that group has access. Inside of the group there is nothing you can do to filter access. 

Thanks haizman.  Makes sense.

So, what is the purpose of the Permissions within datasets and reports then?  Seems like misleading functionity to be able to set permissions - but they do not apply.

@dancarr22, I agree. I think inside of those groups the individual permissions are superceded by the permission of the group. It stands to reason that it would be better to have more granular control, but it appears they haven't added that in as of yet. I also think they might be doing it on purpose in order to keep things simple inside of the groups

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors