Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

samdean332

Users unable to view report in SharePoint after Share with Entire Organization

Hello,

I have a PowerBI Pro liscense working in a Premium Capacity workspace. I built the workspace by upload to .pbix files I built in PowerBI Desktop. There are 2 reports that I want to embed into a SharePoint site. So, my premium workspace has 6 items: a report, a dashboard, and a dataset for each. 

Now, I created an App for this workspace and chose the Share to Entire Org option. The install automatically option is not-clickable in this case for me. To embed to SharePoint, I am going into the App, hitting the Share option for each report > Embed to Sharepoint, and using that link. When I go to SharePoint, I can see the report just fine. However, when end users going to the SharePoint, it says "You do not have access". Users can however, hit request access and go get the App for our organizational AppSource. I WANT TO ELMINATE THE APPSOURCE STEP. I want users to just be able to see the report on SharePoint. I have followed all the documentation to the word, and I still cannot get this to work. When I look at 'manage permissions' for the Datasets, it says 'entire org'. However, if I click to the report, it does not have that, but there is no option to add it other than the main App create! Essentially, Entire Org permissions only show up for the datasets in the App. 

What am I doing wrong here? It is driving me crazy, I do not see an option to add the org to the reports other than the app create.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samdean332 ,

There are two common reasons for this message.

1. You do not have report access.
  2. The report was deleted.

There are two ways to provide report access in Power BI. The first way, if you're using a Microsoft 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, is to list the user as a member of the workspace within the Power BI service and the SharePoint page. For more information, see how to manage a workspace.

The second way is to embed a report within an app and share it directly with users:

1. The author, who must be a Pro user, creates a report in a workspace. To share with Power BI free users, the workspace needs to be set as a Premium workspace.

2. The author publishes the app and installs it. The author must install the app so it has access to the report URL that is used for embedding in SharePoint Online.

3. Now all end users need to install the app too. You can also use the Install app automatically feature, which you can enable in the Power BI admin portal, to have the app pre-installed for end users.

4. The author opens the app and goes to the report.

5. The author copies the embed report URL from the report the app installed. Don't use the original report URL from the workspace.

6. Create a new team site in SharePoint Online.

7. Add the previously-copied report URL to the Power BI web part.

8. Add all end users and/or groups who are going to consume the data on the SharePoint Online page and in the Power BI app you created.

Note

Users or groups need access to both the SharePoint Online page and the report in the Power BI app to see the report on the SharePoint page.

Now the end user can go to the team site in SharePoint Online and view the reports on the page.

Reference: Grant access to reports

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samdean332 ,

There are two common reasons for this message.

1. You do not have report access.
  2. The report was deleted.

There are two ways to provide report access in Power BI. The first way, if you're using a Microsoft 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, is to list the user as a member of the workspace within the Power BI service and the SharePoint page. For more information, see how to manage a workspace.

The second way is to embed a report within an app and share it directly with users:

1. The author, who must be a Pro user, creates a report in a workspace. To share with Power BI free users, the workspace needs to be set as a Premium workspace.

2. The author publishes the app and installs it. The author must install the app so it has access to the report URL that is used for embedding in SharePoint Online.

3. Now all end users need to install the app too. You can also use the Install app automatically feature, which you can enable in the Power BI admin portal, to have the app pre-installed for end users.

4. The author opens the app and goes to the report.

5. The author copies the embed report URL from the report the app installed. Don't use the original report URL from the workspace.

6. Create a new team site in SharePoint Online.

7. Add the previously-copied report URL to the Power BI web part.

8. Add all end users and/or groups who are going to consume the data on the SharePoint Online page and in the Power BI app you created.

Note

Users or groups need access to both the SharePoint Online page and the report in the Power BI app to see the report on the SharePoint page.

Now the end user can go to the team site in SharePoint Online and view the reports on the page.

Reference: Grant access to reports

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors