Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kletzy
Advocate III
Advocate III

Users unable to see DirectQuery data from composite model (have data access)

Posted this in ideas but not sure if it goes here: I have a composite model running off imported queries together with DirectQuery off a shared model (see below): - users have access to both models and can see reports connected to the imported portion of the data in the composite model as well as reports connected to the shared model (Luna) directly - they however cannot see the visuals connected to the direct query tables in the composite model (screenshot and error below). I can see both correctly, though initally had the same issue which was somehow resolved - some users could see the data but now can no longer:

Lineage.pngReport Error.pngError message.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They need build permissions for all datasets.
Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Users need 'Build' permissions on all datasets in the chain to access a report that leverages this feature.

It is a reason many are not using it in production. This goes away for GA, but during preview, it is still a roadblock.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

DirectQuery for Power BI datasets is still in preview and I do not think the Lineage views are fully baked.

Do your users have BUILD permissions on the report? They need it to access the DQ/AAS data currently. That will not be a requirement when composite models are Generally Available, but it is a current issue in the Preview period.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans thank you for your reply - they dont have BUILD access at the moment - that could be the issue as you suggest. So they need build permission on both models or only the shared model being direct queried? I assume there would be data sensitivity issues as they would then see all data in the model not just the data shared in the reports? All reports are shared via apps.

They need build permissions for all datasets.
Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Users need 'Build' permissions on all datasets in the chain to access a report that leverages this feature.

It is a reason many are not using it in production. This goes away for GA, but during preview, it is still a roadblock.

Any idea when this will be GA so the build permission can be removed please?

Hoping this year. Build permission requirements were removed for Premium. It is more technical to remove it for Pro, so that is taking longer. The Power BI blog though will be the place to monitor. One day we will wake up and they will post that all issues are resolved and the feature is GA. Power BI Blog—Updates and News | Microsoft Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors