Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LaineyJB
Advocate II
Advocate II

Users removed/overwritten from RLS roles after model redeploy

We're having a very specific issue that we're hoping someone can help with. We're in the process of publishing our tabular models to a Power BI PPU workspace to use them as PBI datasets rather than deploying them to a separate Azure Analysis Services server, and have hit an RLS-related snag on the first model.

We figured out that we can't have users assigned to RLS roles when we publish our model from Visual Studio to our workspace, so we removed them from the model and just added them to the roles once it was in the workspace. However, when we publish changes to the model, the users get removed from the roles, presumably because they are overwritten with the empty roles from the model in VS. Is there a setting somewhere that can prevent this from happening?

The only workaround we've come up with is scripting changes to the roles through SSMS after the model is deployed. So far we've only figured out how to do this manually, but would like to kick it off automatically. If we need to go this route, we were wondering if there's any kind of notification on the PBI server that is created when a dataset is published. Ideally we would find a way to run the scripts based on that. Any assistance with either solution is greatly appreciated; please let me know if more clarification is needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LaineyJB 

What you could do is to download and install the BISM Normalizer which will allow you to granularly control which aspects you want deployed to PPU

Here is the website: Home Page - BISM Normalizer (bism-normalizer.com)

And this is created by Christian Wade who works on the Power BI team.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Awesome, happy to help where I can!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LaineyJB 

What you could do is to download and install the BISM Normalizer which will allow you to granularly control which aspects you want deployed to PPU

Here is the website: Home Page - BISM Normalizer (bism-normalizer.com)

And this is created by Christian Wade who works on the Power BI team.

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ! That worked like a charm. Much easier than what I had in mind.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors