Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Seattle-1
Frequent Visitor

Users not able to view my dashboard on Power BI Service

I created reports publised on Power BI Service. Data source is Analysis Services Tabular Model (Live Connection).

Users I granted to view the reports got the error below.

"You don't have permission to view this report because the owner has set row-level security (RLS) on the data model. Please contact the report owner."

There was not a "security" available on the Power BI desktop when I created my reports. In addtion, RLS does not seem to apply for my situation becasue I did not plan and will not plan to restrict users to access a specific set of data. I want users to be able to read all data I published.

Does anyone have any experience and knowledge on this?

Thank you.

Ellen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Seattle-1,

How did you configure your RLS on ssas side? I'd like to suggest you to take a look at following tutorial first.

Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular modeln-us/power-bi/desktop-tutor...

In addition, if your users account are different from effective user name, you can also try to setting UPN for these users.

Tech Tip Thursday: User Principal Name (UPN) mapping in Power BI

BTW, if these user are extranel from your tenant, I'd like to suggest you add them as guests to enable RLS.

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

If above not help, please provide more detail contents to help us clarify your scenario.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Seattle-1,

How did you configure your RLS on ssas side? I'd like to suggest you to take a look at following tutorial first.

Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular modeln-us/power-bi/desktop-tutor...

In addition, if your users account are different from effective user name, you can also try to setting UPN for these users.

Tech Tip Thursday: User Principal Name (UPN) mapping in Power BI

BTW, if these user are extranel from your tenant, I'd like to suggest you add them as guests to enable RLS.

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

If above not help, please provide more detail contents to help us clarify your scenario.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, Xiaoxin, for your reply.

It seems that 2nd link and 3rd link could be the possibilities that users can not view my reports.

Here are my questions:

1. UPN mapping: if the user principal name does not match the email address ( I used for giving a permission viewing my reports), the users will get error viewing it. How and where do I find UPN for users? so, I can map it correctly. 

2. Assign Power BI Pro license to guest user: Not sure how it works. My users are all within my organization (same domain). How do I know if users have Pro license or not? How does the assigning process work?

Thanks,

Ellen

HI @Seattle-1,

#1. Current map user name feature only available in SSAS data source, you can find it in 'manage gateway'-> 'datasource'.(only AS request effective username)

#2. Current admin can assign pro license to these guest users(I think you can assign them in office portal). BTW, these external users only has read permission so then can't edit or save contents to their original tenant.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors