Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Users being asked to upgrade to pro to access app workspace shared on Premium capacity

The organization just recently purchased the P1 SKU of Power BI Premium.

Capacity has been assigned.

We have published an app workspace (containing reports) on premium capacity specifically to a user who only has a free licence assigned within the organization. 

When the user goes to get the App from App Source > My Organization they can see the App but when they click on Get App a pop-up appears telling them they need to upgrade to a pro licence.

My understanding was that if a tenant has Premium Capacity and an App Workspace is designated to that premium capacity then any user on that tenant that has been designated when publishing the App to have Access should be able to access it regardless of whether or not they have a free or pro licence?

Am I right here? What is going on?

Any help here is appreciated as I'm at a loss.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out the issue was that we had been sold an EM subscription instead of a P1 subscription and therefore apps published from Premium capacity were publishing as regular apps to regular capacity.

We had purchased the subscription as part of a Microsoft SA promo and it was meant to be a P1 SKU but it looks like it was in fact configures as an EM2 SKU on the promo. They have switched it over and sharing to free users in the organization works as expected now.

Thanks all for your feedback and hopefully this helps anyone else with the same issue. Apparently we weren't the only user with this problem.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Please check the status of PBI Premium and status of the App workspace.

2. Don't add the free user as the App workspace member. This could be the cause.

>>>App readers can be Power BI Pro or free users.

Users being asked to upgrade to pro to access app workspace shared on Premium capacity.jpg 

Otherwise, I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out the issue was that we had been sold an EM subscription instead of a P1 subscription and therefore apps published from Premium capacity were publishing as regular apps to regular capacity.

We had purchased the subscription as part of a Microsoft SA promo and it was meant to be a P1 SKU but it looks like it was in fact configures as an EM2 SKU on the promo. They have switched it over and sharing to free users in the organization works as expected now.

Thanks all for your feedback and hopefully this helps anyone else with the same issue. Apparently we weren't the only user with this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you contact Microsoft to solve this problem? Is there any support address?

Best Regards

@Anonymous

Before I go back and check what kind of subscription my organization has been sold, I want to tell you my scenario.

My free users are able to access reports on 1 out of 3 app workspaces. However, it prompts them for "upgrade account" for other 2 app workspaces. So, I am not sure what could be wrong in this case.

Any ideas?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd probably get that behaviour if the two workspaces they can't access have dedicated Premium capacity and the one they can access does not. You can tell by whether they have the little diamond symbol next to the workspace name at the top when you are in them.
Hope that helps.

@Anonymous

All my workspaces are dedicated capacity i.e. all have the diamond icon next to them.

Hi there,

if you can make sure that you have shared it via an App and not via the Sharing button?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Actually, I haven't published apps yet.

My questions are for 3 different app workspaces.

Regards

Hi there, in order to share it for Free Power BI Users, you have to share it via an App.

If you have 3 different App Workspaces, you would have to create an App for each workspace.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ thanks for your reply

I will be eventually creating Apps for each of 3 workspaces.

My Case :  Original workspace was under shared , then moved to Premium Capacity ( still it is under calssic workspace Model),

Added new user as "Member Can View Only" option to the workpsace, it is asking user to get PRO License.

If  the same reports shared , able access the report/ dowload the  visual data.

Anyone facing this issue?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

I can confirm that I am experiencing the same issue.

If I Share a dashboard from the Premium App Workspace to a free user they can see it.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ. Are you saying your free users cannot consume Apps in the premium capacity but that you are able to share dashboards with them?

How long has this been a problem and have you identified any work arounds?

Unfortunately Premium is useless to us if we have to buy pro licences to consume content as well as publish it.

Hi @Anonymous

I looked into this further and the issue does not appear to be happening for me any more.

Can you confirm which Power BI Premium SKU you are on?

Is it from the Office 365 SKU?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I would have to confirm but I believe it is P1. They do have Office 365 but the Pro Licences and Premium were purchased separately after the fact.

I am thinking possibly that the SKU might be affecting your issue.

So if you are able to confirm the SKU that would be ideal.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ I can confirm that the SKU is the P1. How does that affect it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors