Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thighland
Frequent Visitor

Users being asked to upgrade to Pro when they (supposedly) have a Pro license

Hello all,

I've been asked to troubleshoot a licensing issue with Power BI but I'm not all that knowledgeable about that aspect of things.  I created a dashboard and allowed access for several users to view it.  I'm told that these users do have a Power BI Pro license (although I can't confirm myself, don't know how or maybe don't have access?) but when they're trying to view the dashboard/app the entire screen is greyed out and there's a messagebox stating:

"Upgrade to Power Bi Pro - the content is only available to users with a Power BI Pro license.  Upgrade today to get access to collaborate with others and distribute content." Along with Upgrade Account and Cancel buttons.

How would I go about confirming their licenses are setup and applied properly?  Again, I don't have access to the users' AD accounts or anything (I just create dashboards) so I need to know how to instruct someone with the right access on how to confirm things are set up properly so they can leverage their Pro licenses.

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @thighland,

I think you need to contact to the third part product for use these licenses.

Normally, power bi user license are managed by tenant admin.(they need to purchasing in office 365 admin portal and assign to corrsponed users)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thighland,

>>"Upgrade to Power Bi Pro - the content is only available to users with a Power BI Pro license.

Above notice means your dashboards has pro feature contents, so receivers need pro license to view them.

BTW, current only pro and above license can use share features.

You can take a look at following article to know more about this:

Power BI Premium FAQ

Power BI Free

What capabilities are being added to the free service?
Beginning June 1, 2017, the free service will have capabilities equivalent to Power BI Pro, except for sharing, enterprise distribution, and collaboration. This includes the same 10 GB workspace limit, up to 8 daily scheduled refreshes for datasets, and maximum 1M/hour streaming data rate. We’re also including access to all data sources, including those available through the on-premises data gateway.

Which Power BI Pro capabilities are not available with the free service?
Peer-to-peer dashboard sharing, app workspaces (previously referred to as group workspaces), Analyze in Excel and Power BI Apps (unless backed by Premium capacity) are capabilities limited to Power BI Pro.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I knew users must have Pro licenses in order to access the content; the question here was that I was told the licesnes had been purchased for the users but they were still seeing the popup. 

What I later found out is that while the licenses were indeed purchased, they weren't actually activated to each user's account in the O365 Admin portal. (Kind of necessary to actually associate the license to the individual for it to work).

Oh well, I knew there was something off with how they tried to get this done.  I appreciate the response.

~Cheers

Hi @thighland,

I think you need to contact to the third part product for use these licenses.

Normally, power bi user license are managed by tenant admin.(they need to purchasing in office 365 admin portal and assign to corrsponed users)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors