Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jaymanivannan
Frequent Visitor

User privilege to create new reports

Hi,

I developed few reports and dashboards from one dataset. I shared all these reports and dashboards to my business power user, he is able to access all the reports through the web (app.powerbi.com), but he is not able to create any report because "Create" option is not available in his login. I guess this is due to he is not in the owner group users of Data Insight, could any one you please confirm my theory? 

My next question is, I don't want to include him as a Data Insight owner, but I need to give him access to create his own reports. Is this possible? If this is possible please let me know how to do this. 

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jaymanivannan

From my understanding if you want him to create his own reports, he would have to be a member in your App Workspace.

If you shared the reports and dashboards from "My Workspace" then the power user will not be able to create his own reports. You will need to put them into an App Workspace and then put this user as a member.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Thanks for the reply. It is not in "My work space", it is in "App Workspace " only.

Thanks.

@jaymanivannan,

You need to contact App Workspace owner to grant access permission to this App. So that him can use the dataset in this group and create new report based on this dataset.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi there,

We've create an app workspace and given users access to the app workspace but when the users views the app, they can see dashboards, reports and dataset but they can't do anythin except analyse in excel. Is there any way to create a report off the dataset in the app workspace? We need this because we have external guest user accounts and we can only share with them using app workspaces.

Thanks.

I've found doco saying that this is not possible with guest accounts:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Hi there,

If you create an App, which is read only, you can share this externally with other users. When you are on the Access screen, just type in their email address.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors