Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

arnoldp
Frequent Visitor

User owns data licensing requirements

In a "User owns data" scenario, do all the viewers with whom the report is shared, need to have a Power BI Pro license in order to view the report?

I have run the Power BI demo app 'integrate-report-web-app' from GitHub. This works perfectly fine when I log in with the credentials of the Power BI Pro user who created the report. However, once I log in as a Power BI Free user with whom the workspace and the report have been shared with, the code throws an error and displays the following message

"Report with ID: 'xxxxx' not found in the group with ID: 'xxxxx', Please check the report ID."

Whats the benefit of using embedded reports for organisation if each user need to have a Power BI Pro license?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@arnoldp Workspaces and sharing when viewed in the Power BI Service require that all users have a Pro license. If you embed the report in an application, you could use Power BI Embedded to license users to consume it via the application, but they wouldn't be able to in the Service as that requires either a Pro license or premium (covers free users). Either way, the report developer and those that need to update the report would still require Pro licensing.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@arnoldp Workspaces and sharing when viewed in the Power BI Service require that all users have a Pro license. If you embed the report in an application, you could use Power BI Embedded to license users to consume it via the application, but they wouldn't be able to in the Service as that requires either a Pro license or premium (covers free users). Either way, the report developer and those that need to update the report would still require Pro licensing.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Dear @Seth_C_Bauer - it sounds like you're into the licensing. Hope you can help me with this one, which is similar to the one you've answered in this thread. Same scenario - user owns data demo is setup and works perfectly. All users have pro license. Are there any limitations for this to work in the future? Is there a max number of tokens available, even though all users have pro license? Can we run this setup without embedded capacity?  Br Andreas

@AndreasHermanse This is a good question, I'll have to throw the caveat of "I believe" this should work provided you are authenticating via AAD, and that the content has also been shared with the end users from within the Power BI Service. In this scenario, it should validate that the end user has access to, and can view the report. Without the share in the Service, I would assume that the end users would not be able to see it.

Ok. thank you very much @Seth_C_Bauer. But you don't "believe" we'll run into a license issue with this setup as long as all users have a pro license?

@AndreasHermanse Correct. It would be a pretty straightforward test. Create an embedded report, have the pro user try to access via the app. It should fail. Share the report to the user in the PBI Service, have them check again, it should render.

Thanks for your previous reply.

We purchased some embedded A1 capacity on Azure and assigned a workspace to it. Free users are now able to view the shared reports in the Power BI Service under the "Shared with me" section. This works only for reports though, dashboards and apps still prompt the user to upgrade.

Can you please confirm that this is the intended behaviour. We were expecting that embedded capacity can only be used for embedding reports within our own apps and we pleasantly surprised when we realised that they can be viewed directly from the Power BI Service as well.

@arnoldp That doesn't sound like it should behave that way... Let me see if I can get a definite answer.

@Seth_C_Bauer Were you able to get a clarification on the current behaviour of the Power BI service? We are about to implement for a client based on the current behaviour and it is absolutely critical that we can communicate it beforehand if this is likely to change. Please do let me know if there is someone we can contact to get this clarification. 

Thanks for your assisstance.

@arnoldp Yes, You should consider this a bug. An embedded license alone does not grant you any access to shared content within the PBI Service. That is only achievable via a Pro or Premium license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors