Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mvink
Frequent Visitor

User outside my organization can create a new report, but can't change it afterwards

Hello all,

I am working on a Power BI project for another company. I have created everything under my own (pro) account, and published to the Power BI Service. I then shared the reports and the underlying dataset with a user outside my own organization. He can see the report I created for him, and he can also create a new report on the underlying dataset.

The problem is, after he saved the report he created on the dataset, he can't change it anymore. When I open it, I have the possibility to change (this is Dutch):

mvink_0-1611053781018.png

But on his own screen, he does not have this possibility:

mvink_1-1611053832850.png

Some context:

• The report, created by the external user, is saved in a workspace I created. I gave him owner permissions here;
  • When I check the permissions on the report, he has owner permissions as well;
  • The user is a user outside my organization, but he can read the reports I created and use the dataset.

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mvink 

Guest user can't see the report or workspace you shared with them directly in their tenant.

You can share your tenant URL in "About Power BI" in "?" Icon to them.

They can see the report and workspace you shared with them from this link.

Please check this function: Allow Azure Active Directory guest users to edit and manage content in the organization in tenant setting in your admin portal.

You need to be a Power BI admin or a Global admin to use admin portal.

1.png
If it is turned on, the guest user who have build permission in your workspace can edit the report in your tenant.
You see as a guest user, I can edit the report I built in this tenant.
1.png
If this option turned off, I can't find Edit option.
2.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mvink 

Guest user can't see the report or workspace you shared with them directly in their tenant.

You can share your tenant URL in "About Power BI" in "?" Icon to them.

They can see the report and workspace you shared with them from this link.

Please check this function: Allow Azure Active Directory guest users to edit and manage content in the organization in tenant setting in your admin portal.

You need to be a Power BI admin or a Global admin to use admin portal.

1.png
If it is turned on, the guest user who have build permission in your workspace can edit the report in your tenant.
You see as a guest user, I can edit the report I built in this tenant.
1.png
If this option turned off, I can't find Edit option.
2.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @mvink ,

This might be a cross -permission issue with the dataset itself.  I have seen where if folks have different userids than the original dataset locationm even though they can modify the report, they can't go back an re-edit it.  Has the original dataset changed in any way?  I undestand that you made them an "owner" and that would be expected to be enough, but what permissions do they have on the report that you are working with?  Review this link for these permissions How content is organized in workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

mvink
Frequent Visitor

Hi Collinq.

Thanks for your response. It did not solve the problem (yet), but of course I'm happy with any direction.

The thing is: I gave this user access and owner priviliges to the workspace I created. He can access the workspace via the link, but he doesn't see the workspace listed in his 'workspaces' in the Power BI Service. He can't create an own workspace either, because that's his company policy.

But, he can access the workspace I created, he can see the dataset and he can create a report on the dataset. He can save it as well, but it's saved automatically in the workspace I created. He can't 'save as..' in another place. After saving, he can open the report he created but he can't edit it anymore.

Does anyone have any clue on this strange behaviour?

Regards,

Mike

Hey @mvink ,

Ok, so, he should see the workspace that you shared with him in the "Shared With Me" section on the left hand navigation and not in his list of Workspaces.  Does that part work?  

I am also wondering if you are getting caught between permissions your organization allows and permissions that his organization allows.  I understand that you gave him owner privliges to the workspace but as an interesting test, maybe give him owner on the report and dataset as well?  That SHOULD be overkill, but, it might be worth a try?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors