Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

User not able to use Analze In Excel

Hi,

I have got stuck with a weird issue with Analyze in Excel where in I am able to use the DataSet in Excel but when user is trying to do the same he gets below error:

nitishsh91_0-1642094175927.png

He has got Admin access on workspace and all the Microsoft Analysis OLEDB Provider is also latest alongwith Excel updates which I have on my machine. It looks more like profile related as with my id I am able to access it on the same machine but it still doesn't work for user.

Has anyone seen this issue in past as its causing a lot of trouble?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nitishsh91 ,

Is your user unable to use Analyze in Excel only for this dataset, or for all datasets?

If it fails for all datasets, please check his excel version, Microsoft Analysis OLEDB Provider version and .NETFramework version.

If it fails for only one dataset, please check the user's access to the underlying dataset (e.g. whether the user can create new reports with this dataset).

If the problem still cannot be resolved, please submit a ticket, and it is free for pro users.

How to create a support ticket in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Winniz

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @nitishsh91 

The error seems to be for the datasource, can you ensure the user has same acess on this datasource and the dataset that you're using?

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Yes user has same access on dataset and datasource, also this datasource is refreshed via on-premises gateway so I am not sure if datasource access will matter here.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nitishsh91 

Could you ask the user to access it directly from Excel (Making sure that the latest version is installed)

Or you can access it via the browser with this link shown below:Create Connected PivotTables in Excel for the web | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes user tried via that and there also there is an error:

nitishsh91_0-1642150963321.png

Hi @nitishsh91 ,

You may see this error "Initialization of the data source failed", particularly the first time you try to do this. This is normally related to you not having the correct data connector installed for your version of Excel. Make sure your users have installed the correct (64 bit or 32 bit) data connector on their own computers.

Reference: Power BI Analyze in Excel – What You Need to Know 

In addtional, you could check if reach the limitations in this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-analyze-in-excel#requirements

• Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.
  • Analyze in Excel requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license.
  • Users can connect to datasets through Analyze in Excel if they have read permission on the underlying dataset. 
  • The Analyze in Excel is a Power BI service feature, and is not available in Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded.
  • Analyze in Excel is only supported on machines running Microsoft Windows.
  • Some organizations may have Group Policy rules that prevent installing the required Analyze in Excel updates to Excel.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes all these things were tried but still the same issue that I mentioned above is being faced.

Hi @nitishsh91 ,

Is your user unable to use Analyze in Excel only for this dataset, or for all datasets?

If it fails for all datasets, please check his excel version, Microsoft Analysis OLEDB Provider version and .NETFramework version.

If it fails for only one dataset, please check the user's access to the underlying dataset (e.g. whether the user can create new reports with this dataset).

If the problem still cannot be resolved, please submit a ticket, and it is free for pro users.

How to create a support ticket in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Thanks.

Yes all pre-requisites ae installed on user's machine, I will raise a ticket.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors